Default This Quiz is Kind of Fun

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...-quiz-map.html

At the end there's a map. For folks who moved around a bit, a chance to see how much of your home town remains in your language.

For Dogtag and maybe a few others, there is this one.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...lect-quiz.html

First quiz was close. Southern Wisconsin. Had a hard time with some answers because I know my dialect is mixed up. Raised in Chicago but spent a lot of time up north or in KY, TN, and TX.
    I use some words interchangeably and some I answered for what I used to say or what I hear daily.
    For the quiz to place me just 90 miles from home is pretty good shooting in my book.

Thanks for the entertainment.
    2016 Chicago Cubs. MLB Champions!

**Never quite as old as the other old farts**

Great quiz. Nailed me correctly to Pittsburgh. I think “yinz” pretty much sealed it.

4. Default

Nailed me, next town over but pretty close.

Blog Entries

Took it twice, once with most common usage, nailed me. Then, just in case "it" was looking on my phone location I took it again using alternate words. Many questions had words I've used at different times in my life....BANG nailed me to Jackson Miss; Baton Rouge, New Orleans. Neat quiz.

Quiz 2 = you're definitely not from around here, are you?

*Although I might be better understood in SE Ireland or SW England. Don't think I'd survive up in black country.
    Tried to keep going with the 96 extra questions. They tossed me out of the pub after answering the third!
    Last edited by JB White; 03-11-2019 at 05:10.
    2016 Chicago Cubs. MLB Champions!

**Never quite as old as the other old farts**

Blog Entries

I've seen that one or one similar before,

pegged me fairly close,

I am in RVA, but spent time as a kid (mom's family) in the South Boston/Danville area,
    it put me at Winston Salem (not too far off)

the English part put me in Southern England, around london,

which oddly enough is where my paternal ancestor came from in 1610 or so,,,,

while in that area a few years ago, a shop clerk told me I sounded like I was from up north (which is where my mothers family is from, supposedly) meaning northern england

Modesto, Stockton and Salt Lake.
    Never lived in any of those places. Never lived west of the Mississippi until I went to college except to be born in Oregon and moved to Alaska when I was 10 weeks to a year and a half. I'm a military brat though and grew up in Ohio: Wright Patterson AFB and Northern VA: when Dad was at the Pentagon.