Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
  1. Default

When I installed the barrel from the Eddystone I had to modify the threads a pequeño bit
    At the time I did not have a 308 Norma Magnum, so? I installed the M1917 barrel on a P14 receiver. I cut the chamber with one of those give-a-way reamers. The rifle worked so well I decided to install a 30/06 M1917 barrel on another P 14 receiver.

A smith/friend died just over a year ago, I went for a visit about the time he swore off of P14s; that was OK by me but I was curious as to why so I asked.

F. Guffey

And then one day a M1917 barrel shows up here, he said three smiths removed it from an Eddystone, he described the scene around the rifle as one that looked like three tire men removing a tubeless tire with out lube. That Eddystone receiver did not crack, that did not make it any easier to remove. The three smiths got to the point they did not care, it is not easy to look like you know what you are going when removing barrels from Eddystones.
    If three people can't figure out how to cut a barrel for relief, then they are knuckle draggers not gun smiths.

Lot of here say vs someone who does the job day in day out.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RC20 View Post
    If three people can't figure out how to cut a barrel for relief, then they are knuckle draggers not gun smiths.

Lot of here say vs someone who does the job day in day out.
    not sure if the case, but I read that line in FGuffey's post as they wanted the barrel out intact, not just the receiver,

4. Default

not sure if the case, but I read that line in FGuffey's post as they wanted the barrel out intact, not just the receiver,
    They wanted the receiver, they gave me the barrel. The smith that mailed the Barrel is in Colorado, he was in Kentucky. I do not know of a smith that has been working on M1917s that has not found a M1917 Eddystone with a cracked receiver. Roy Dunlap said the Eddystone is anyone's guess. He liked the Remington, he liked the Winchesters he said the Eddystone was not his first choice or his second choice.

F. Guffey

5. Default

I did not believe there would be a member on this forum that could imagine what it was like in the old days when changing tubeless tires. They did not have the tools, they did not have the instructions and they did not have the lube that was necessary. And then; once the tire was on the wheel there was the little problem of airing up the tire.

When it comes to removing barrels I insist on doing it without an audience; in the past I have had the weak pass out and the strong get dizzy.

F. Guffey
    Last edited by fguffey; 10-07-2019 at 09:12.