Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by dryheat View Post
    Didn't Teddy Roosevelt carry one? I remember my dads friend had one up on a rack in his house. Funny, I was about twelve years old and I remember the look of it. About 1963.
    Yes. He used 2, both chambered for the .405 cartridge.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winchester_Model_1895
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Allen; 03-09-2019 at 08:10.

That is a piece of history. They pretty much covered it all, what with the Russian, .303,ect. A buddy of mine just picked one up, and I know he didn't buy a Bubba. Funny, how folks didn't think far enough ahead to not mess with historic rifles and such. Well, maybe it helps the collectors find the(rare) virgin stuff which is fun to pick up and more valuable.
    If I should die before I wake...great,a little more sleep.

i have a 1914 06 saddle ring, the ring is long lost and the threads are wallowed out and gone, gone. One of the elevation screws is missing on the rear sight and the remaining one is tightened all the way down... And it's on, really on, at 100 yards. Yes there is a little receiver stretch primer pooch, I typically load 2 grains under minimum. Great guns, mine has a Texas Ranger star carved into the butt stock, as these were the preferred long arm of the Texas Rangers in the early 20th century, it's possible it is a gun once owned by a ranger. Bore purty good, it'll group at 2 1/2" at 100. Have the modern Browning reiteration, both lovely sweet handling guns.
    Last edited by Griff Murphey; 03-17-2019 at 06:49.

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Griff Murphey View Post
    i have a 1914 06 saddle ring, the ring is long lost and the threads are wallowed out and gone, gone. One of the elevation screws is missing on the rear sight and the remaining one is tightened all the way down... And it's on, really on, at 100 yards. Yes there is a little receiver stretch primer pooch, I typically load 2 grains under minimum. Great guns, mine has a Texas Ranger star carved into the butt stock, as these were the preferred long arm of the Texas Rangers in the early 20th century, it's possible it is a gun once owned by a ranger. Bore purty good, it'll group at 2 1/2" at 100. Have the modern Browning reiteration, both lovely sweet handling guns.
    Sounds nice. My '95 shoots about like your rifle (2.5-3 in @ 100 )with full load 180s. It was my black bear gun for many years but now it's retired.

Didn't Teddy Roosevelt carry one? I remember my dads friend had one up on a rack in his house. Funny, I was about twelve years old and I remember the look of it. About 1963.
    In addition to the .405s mentioned above, Roosevelt carried a Model 95 Carbine in .30-40 in the Spanish American War and provided them to his officers. The Model 95 was one of his favorite rifles.
    Last edited by Art; 03-18-2019 at 03:09.

TR did in fact carry a '95 Winchester in .30 US when he was in the "Rough Riders." Supposedly he lent the carbine to another soldier during the San Juan/Kettle Hill fight. He had spent a few years out west ranching and may have come to prefer the lever gun to a bolt-action. In any case he continued to use the '95 in various calibers, and took one in .405 to Africa with him. He called it "lion medicine."

jn
    Last edited by jon_norstog; 03-24-2019 at 06:46.

Years ago I was killing time and wandered into a gun shop to browse. Spotted a well used '95 on the rack at a very good price. I brought it up to the counter where the clerk told me most people don't want a 303 British. (I do). I took out my ID and CC when he told me they didn't accept plastic. Told him I would be right back.
    Returned in under an hour with the cash only to discover the price had doubled. So I passed but wasn't able to leave before the owner came out of the back to yell at me that they weren't giving guns away.
    I hadn't made a scene. Only asked why the original price was X'd out and the tag remarked. The clerk winced and shrugged his shoulders. All I did was tell him I was taking a pass at the new price.
    They went out of business not too long afterward. Don't know if they sold it or not. Most of the clientele were shotgunners.

Had the price gone up some it might have been fair for condition, but doubled launched it well out of haggling range.
    2016 Chicago Cubs. MLB Champions!

**Never quite as old as the other old farts**

Quote Originally Posted by clintonhater View Post
    The 99 makes a lot of sense, but not the first--unless you like vicious kickers. The '95s in .30-40 (I have one) are much more pleasant.
    I have no problem at all with my .308 -- but then I like to shoot my M1903A3s and my Model 70 with their steel buttplates.