Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Value of Mod 1895 Winchester

It's a Saddle Ring carbine in caliber 30-06. Bore is in good condition. wood has been refinished. saddle ring and upper hand guard have been replaced with new components and it has been re-blued to a glossy finish Anybody have an idea what it is worth?

"...wood has been refinished...has been re-blued..." That drops the value by approximately half. Even if it was done professionally. Condition and originality matters.
    However, there was one on Rock Island auction that sold for $1840 in December of 2017. Another currently on Gunbroker that the guy wants a minimum bid of $1,299.00, with no bids.
    Spelling and grammar count!

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Sunray View Post
    "...wood has been refinished...has been re-blued..." That drops the value by approximately half. Even if it was done professionally. Condition and originality matters.
    However, there was one on Rock Island auction that sold for $1840 in December of 2017. Another currently on Gunbroker that the guy wants a minimum bid of $1,299.00, with no bids.
    Thanks Sunray. Your info helps me establish a ballpark figure within which to work.

The 1895 has a big problem with high powered cartridges like the 30-06, 30-40 Krag and the 7.62x54. It has a tendency to stretch the action with these rounds and the headspace increases. So be sure to have it checked. It has no collector value. It should sell as a shooter.

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Tuna View Post
    The 1895 has a big problem with high powered cartridges like the 30-06, 30-40 Krag and the 7.62x54. It has a tendency to stretch the action with these rounds and the headspace increases. So be sure to have it checked. It has no collector value. It should sell as a shooter.
    Thanks Tuna. That makes sense. It's nickel steel

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by snakehunter View Post
    It's nickel steel
    Doesn't matter--it's the breech lock-up, at the rear end of the bolt, that causes the stretching. With all that's been done to it, maybe $5-600?
    Last edited by clintonhater; 03-09-2019 at 07:11.

I always lusted for two rifles -- An 1895 Winchester in .30-06 and a 99 Savage in .250-3000. My Dad was in oil exploration and spent years in the African bush. The .250-3000 was his favorite cartridge. But the more I learned the less I wanted them. Nowadays I have a 99 Savage in .308 Winchester -- the best of both worlds.

My Dad had a Winchester 1895 in 30-40 Krag. I believe the barrel is stamped 30 US. We still have it. It's a carbine version and supposedly went through one of our many wars with Mexico. I guess the serial number lookup might verify some of the history. It has 25 1/4" notches cut on the butt stock real neatly side by side as to confirm 25 kills but of course no one can verify that now. It was my Dad's favorite rifle and it still shoots good to this day.

There sure is a world of difference between a 1894 and a 1895.

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Vern Humphrey View Post
    I always lusted for two rifles -- An 1895 Winchester in .30-06 and a 99 Savage in .250-3000.
    The 99 makes a lot of sense, but not the first--unless you like vicious kickers. The '95s in .30-40 (I have one) are much more pleasant.

Didn't Teddy Roosevelt carry one? I remember my dads friend had one up on a rack in his house. Funny, I was about twelve years old and I remember the look of it. About 1963.
    If I should die before I wake...great,a little more sleep.