Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Rock Island M1903 - revisited

I am revisiting a Rock Island rifle that I had a thread for, about 10 years ago! It has been lost during the CSP and Jouster2 switch, and would like to retrieve the info from then. I could never find it, and failed to print it off back then!

I have the rifle apart and comparing it to information in C.S. Ferris' book. One item I noticed was the barrel date and Steel lot number, which differs from the Table 1 chart on page 27!

My barrelis dated 2-19 lot code number is C126, chart says a barrel dated 4-22 should have C126!

Book also denotes "shell and flame" stamps on a few parts, my rifles has many parts stamped that way.

I checked VI Shooters page to investigate the bolt, he speaks of a straight handled bolt marked NS on bottom of rear lug as mine is and the the shell and flame over 50 in arm pit of bolt handle. Mine has shell and flame over 60. Also in J.C. Harrison's book he states that NO, straight handled Rock Island bolt is safe to fire! Is that true?

Last question; there are NO markings on the trigger guard/housing, should there be? Can't find any info on that subject.

I'll get some pictures posted if I can figure out how.

Thanks,
    Freedom is not free, the cost can be seen everyday, for it is engraved in marble, cast in bronze and highlighted with little American flags!

Guess no one knows about Rock Island rifles!
    Freedom is not free, the cost can be seen everyday, for it is engraved in marble, cast in bronze and highlighted with little American flags!

With respect, I have no real experience with Rock Island rifles. All I know is what I've read, but that is nothing more than anyone else who has read the available literature. It would be a pleasure to view whatever pictures you would like to post. Sincerely. bruce.
    " Unlike most conservatives, libs have no problem exploiting dead children and dancing on their graves."

The Ferris book, like most reference books, is dated. Ferris published the book based on the information he had available at the time. Since that time, more data have become available and we now stand on his shoulders.

C 126 is a valid steel lot code for an R.I.A./2-19 barrel.

Beginning in about October, 1918, RIA phased in the shell and flame subinspection stamp on almost all parts. Again, Ferris' book is dated. Most RIA rifles were turned into ordnance stores as unassembled parts. When the rifles were eventually assembled, the parts were thoroughly mixed. So RIA rifles can validly have an assortment of stamped and unstamped parts.

J.C. Harrison's book is not true. If you have a caged bird and don't mind taping the pages together, then Harrison's book has value.

Late RIA trigger guards and floorplates were stamped with a shell and flame. Earlier ones were unmarked.

J.B.

IMG_1377.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

IMG_1383.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

IMG_1383.jpgIMG_1386.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

IMG_1389.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Jon Field, I would love to hear more on the 1903A1 Unertl rifle. The scope looks like a 1 1/4 Unertl and probably a USMC marked scope.

What's the story on the rifle?

Scope is a USMC Serial #2346, ? have to check on that, have 2 scopes can't remember both serial numbers. The rifle I bought with scope attached a long time ago, from retired US Navy Captain who bought it from retired Marine at Camp Lejeune. Serial number 149!!!!, something, barrel date of 1934. I put USMC iron sights on it, but still have the number 6 sights I took off. It has won 2 Marine Corps shooting matches at Pendleton, without scope, I have no papers on it. People who see it in person say it's a real sniper, however, the online guys have questioned that. It matches what I've read from Culver's note and the MGySgt who worked for the program in Philly. I'll try to dig it out and send a picture. Knowing where it came from says a lot.

If you get a chance I would love to see pics of it.