Quote Originally Posted by JWM View Post
Was in the Nam in early '66. Within a very short period of time we knew there were too many dirt bag politicians that would stop us from winning the war, and the draft dodgers and protestors were right up there with them. It was not long before all too many of us believed we were wearing the uniform for ourselves...and shortly thereafter for all of those civilians back home that cared.

When it was clear that Bush was not going to bring our troops home after taking Iraq, it was clear to me that nothing had changed in the political arena concerning the war(s) in the Middle East.

James

- - - Updated - - -

Bingo!
During my second tour, I was with the 1st Bde, 5th ID -- which was part of the 3rd Marine Division (one of only two combined Army-Marine divisions to see combat.) 3rd MarDiv was right on the DMZ.

At one time we were using the 9th Marines Tactical Operations Center (TOC) and they had a huge scale map that covered a whole wall. The map had a steel backing and they had magnetic graphics -- you could show an operation quite easily with a setup like that.

One time, out of boredom, we set up an invasion of North Viet Nam, with an amphibious force landing up the coast to encircle the NVA who would have HAD to fight us. A senior officer came in, saw what we had, and xxxx a brick! "Take that down! What if some newsman sees it?"