Default Is there a way to get a thread from Culver Shooting Page?

Would love to revisit a past thread on the old page! Is it possible?

Thanks
    Freedom is not free, the cost can be seen everyday, for it is engraved in marble, cast in bronze and highlighted with little American flags!

You could look on the way back machine.

https://web.archive.org/web/*/jouser.com

Blog Entries

If you know the subject or title, do a google search; if it exists, it will show in the wayback archive. Hi-lite and copy to word or power point. So much knowledge has been lost.
    Last edited by PWC; 02-26-2019 at 07:00.

Thanks, I'll try that approach!
    Freedom is not free, the cost can be seen everyday, for it is engraved in marble, cast in bronze and highlighted with little American flags!

Nothing seems to work, then I figured it would easier to start over again! Original post was about a Rock Island 1903.

Blog Entries

What was the discussion about? Could there be info in Lane's Tips?

7. Default

Nothing seems to work, then I figured it would easier to start over again! Original post was about a Rock Island 1903.
    I made a post covering a Rock Island 03 that was period correct for 1911. I found the rifle in a pawn shop in Victoria, Texas. I checked the barrel and found no rifling, all there was a long black hole. I told the shop I was interested in the rifle if he could convenes me the barrel had a hint of rifling. He went to work, he used everything he had in the way of barrel cleaning and scrubbing. After 2 hours of scrubbing I saw the hint of rifling.

I was warned about single head double heat etc. that did not apply to this rifle. The barrel was carboned up to the point the barrel was no longer a 308/300 diameter, it was closed off to .297". If there was someway that rifle could be blown up it would have happened before the barrel diameter was closed off the .297".

I cleaned the barrel, when finished the inside of the barrel looked new.

F. Guffey
    Last edited by fguffey; 01-23-2020 at 12:06.

Quote Originally Posted by fguffey View Post
    I cleaned the barrel, when finished the inside of the barrel looked new.
    What did you use, how much elbow grease was needed and how long did it take?

I have an old Marlin 1892 (22LR) that has such a carboned up bore. The bore had closed up to a smoothbore. I've tried all the commercial solvents, let them soak overnight and days, used steel wool wrapped about the brushes, resorted to stronger stuff like paint remover, acetone and ammonia.

The patches come out black but very little improvements inside though strong riffling is showing now. Been going on for a while now. No signs of rust or pitting so far. Shooting it between scrubbing seems to help more than anything.