Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Hornady Critical Defense Ammunition

Who has fired this ammo? I think the M1 Carbine would make a fine, compact defense weapon. I wonder about the Hornady ammo. It appears to be optimized but I don't know.

PD

My Carbine wouldn’t feed it reliably, but my buddies ate it just fine, both are original military guns. I’d buy one box and make sure yours likes it. As far as defensive ammunition it should be just fine.

If your carbine doesn't feed them well then get a good soft point round like the one Federal makes and the one Winchester has. They feed well in most carbines and do make nice holes in varmints with two legs or more.

4. Default

Thanks guys.

PD

I use the Winchester 110 gr jacketed hollow points (technically they should probably be called semi-jacketed hollow points) in my Inland. It feeds them without a hiccup and they are accurate. As was said above, whatever ammo you choose, just make sure your particular carbine likes them. None of the hunting/defense ammo is cheap, the Winchester stuff I use is about $55.00 for 50 "drive out," so making sure it's reliable is paramount, especially in a defensive load.
    Last edited by Art; 02-25-2019 at 04:22.

Texas native exiled to Oz for past indescretions to numerous to mention.

Federal Power Shock 110-grain soft point Israeli Po-lease issue $11.49 per box of 20, and no, I have no idea how that compares to any other manufacturer's or vendor's pricing or performance, but it is available as of a couple minutes ago:

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/80...rplus-saturday

That's a long link so if it doesn't go hot, go to Midway and search their site for Product #: 803002.
    "There it is"
    LOAD AND BE READY!

Quote Originally Posted by Andouille View Post
    Federal Power Shock 110-grain soft point Israeli Po-lease issue $11.49 per box of 20, and no, I have no idea how that compares to any other manufacturer's or vendor's pricing or performance, but it is available as of a couple minutes ago:

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/80...rplus-saturday

That's a long link so if it doesn't go hot, go to Midway and search their site for Product #: 803002.
    Thanks!!

The link does work and I'll be buying some tomorrow, assuming there's any left.

8. Default

More thanks. Plan to shoot the Hornady in my Inland in a few days.

PD

Try lightly smoothing the feed ramp, to minimizing "stuttering" of soft-nose ammo.

Mine is dedicated for HS use and sometimes for deer hunting.

Detail the bolt and ejector spring to insure great functioning.

Never had any feeding issues loading Speer 110 grain HP's. Reloads only that make a grapefruit sized hole in a ground hog at about 1800 or 1900 FPS. Wouldn't think twice about using it for deer or SD except our idiot government thinks the Carbine is evil.
    As with any factory ammo you need to try a box to see if and/or how well your Carbine shoots 'em. Doubt you'll have any feeding issues.
    The Hornady CD ammo uses their FTX bullet(that's a Flex Tip primarily made for lever actions.) at 2,000 FPS. That's not terribly fast for a Carbine. Current Start loads of H110/296 run that fast. Max loads run 2100 FPS.
    Spelling and grammar count!