Default Since it's Black History Month

Here is a statement written by one of the Rough Riders (1st US Volunteer Cavalry)... I found it on the SpanAm War website.

Carl Lovelace, Troop D, 1st NY Volunteer Cavalry (sic. It was US Volunteers, not NY Volunteers)

"One thing I noticed; one great thing; one thing, that if the colonial policy is adopted by our people, ought to be an large factor in solving the ever recurring race problem. Get it out of your head that Negroes can't fight. They can. That Tenth cavalry. Will I ever forget one charge I saw them make. They were on our left, and in taking one hill, moved out about two minutes before we did. Amidst a hall of bullets I saw them deploy and move up the hill as if on dress parade with a grand stand attachment. At every step some of them fell but the line never even wavered. They simply closed up to all the gaps, and kept advancing, shooting and cheering as they went. We made some good charges ourselves, but we don't make them with the exquisite mechanical perfection of the Tenth Cavalry Colored. They surprised us all, and I've got more respect for the colored soldier and citizen than I ever had before. If we are going to keep all these tropical islands, we have got to keep troops in every one of them. The Negro soldier is the equal of any, and he stands this climate better than the white man; a place in the regular army betters his conditions, and it seems to me that when our standing army is increased, the Negro should be given a chance. At present there are only four colored regiments in the service... "
    Last edited by jon_norstog; 02-16-2019 at 11:02.

In WW2 and Korea there were distinquished black troops en mass that equaled any other troop. Red Tails in WW2. In the ETO , blacks were used to drive supply trucks and did so with courage under fire.

A little story a black Korea vet once told me. He was on the supply trucks as they rolled up north towards the Yalu.

"We got up there and a sergeant told us to grab our rifles. But sarge....we're up here with the trucks. Not to fight. GRAB A RIFLE!
    So they did and took positions as ordered. All the while mumbling to each other about supposed to be staying with the trucks. Then all Hell broke loose. They shot a little and ducked a little....until the trucks were getting hit.
    Then we were mad. Our ride back was wiped out. We shot a LOT more after that. He went on about having to fight their way back as we are now familiar with.

He can tell it to make you feel it yet have a few laughs too. Nice guy. Nice family. He and his son are avid baseball fans. Lou wears his old Negro League baseball jacket and tells stories about all the great players he watched play. Whenever he brings someone new around, he likes to call me Mr. White, sir. Just to see the expressions on their faces before he makes a laughing introduction.
    2016 Chicago Cubs. MLB Champions!

**Never quite as old as the other old farts**

Quote Originally Posted by jon_norstog View Post
    Here is a statement written by one of the Rough Riders (1st US Volunteer Cavalry)... I found it on the SpanAm War website.

Carl Lovelace, Troop D, 1st NY Volunteer Cavalry (sic. It was US Volunteers, not NY Volunteers)

"One thing I noticed; one great thing; one thing, that if the colonial policy is adopted by our people, ought to be an large factor in solving the ever recurring race problem. Get it out of your head that Negroes can't fight. They can. That Tenth cavalry. Will I ever forget one charge I saw them make. They were on our left, and in taking one hill, moved out about two minutes before we did. Amidst a hall of bullets I saw them deploy and move up the hill as if on dress parade with a grand stand attachment. At every step some of them fell but the line never even wavered. They simply closed up to all the gaps, and kept advancing, shooting and cheering as they went. We made some good charges ourselves, but we don't make them with the exquisite mechanical perfection of the Tenth Cavalry Colored. They surprised us all, and I've got more respect for the colored soldier and citizen than I ever had before. If we are going to keep all these tropical islands, we have got to keep troops in every one of them. The Negro soldier is the equal of any, and he stands this climate better than the white man; a place in the regular army betters his conditions, and it seems to me that when our standing army is increased, the Negro should be given a chance. At present there are only four colored regiments in the service... "

great post. if they are looking for something to put on t.v. for black history month, a story about the 10th would be ideal.

Yes. The Niseis deserve their recognition too.
    2016 Chicago Cubs. MLB Champions!

**Never quite as old as the other old farts**

The first line of the 442nd monument NW of Bruyeres, Vosges says it all and supports the other comments above: [These men] "...reaffirmed an historic truth here that loyalty to one's country is not modified by racial origin..." be it Japanese, African American or any other. Jack Sarafian, first generation American of Armenian descent proved this as well. Here is his resting place at Epinal. My mother told me "He was such a fine boy." Thank God for all of them past and present.
    IMG_2533.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by jon_norstog View Post

Troop D was mustered in in Guthrie, Oklahoma Territory.

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by free1954 View Post
    great post. if they are looking for something to put on t.v. for black history month, a story about the 10th would be ideal.
    Tonight's contribution to black history month by PBS Evening News was a story about the hardship of being both black & queer; broke my heart.
    Last edited by clintonhater; 02-22-2019 at 03:57.

10. Default

Frank Knox (1874-1944), Secretary of the Navy under FDR, was a Rough Rider at San Juan Hill, became separated from his unit. "I fell in with a party of the 10th Cavalry, colored, and in justice to the colored race I saw no braver men anywhere."
    In WWII black troops were usually supply and support troops, but without those supplies front line troops can't fight.
    There was the 6888th Central Postal Directory battalion-the only battalion of Black WACs sent overseas. They sorted out the troops mail which was an important morale booster.
    Last edited by blackhawknj; 02-24-2019 at 10:35.