Thread: Hi there

1. Default Hi there

My first introduction to an M17 was my grandfather's when I was 7 years old. He claims he bought it off a stock pile for $5.00 afer WWII. I was never able to shoot it due to a family member pawning it off just shortly before I mustered the courage to fire it. Fast forward several years and I finally have one of my own which, like my grandfathers' is displayed on a rifle rack so I can look at it every day. I kept ammunition (always stored in climate controlled environment) which I bought for my grandpa's and used it in mine.

Sounds like you've got a great rifle! Pictures, details will allow others will be able to offer you more information about your rifle. Sincerely. bruce.
    " Unlike most conservatives, libs have no problem exploiting dead children and dancing on their graves."

3. Default

I will. Don't have it in front of me right now. Will be making a post later with pics and a yuuuuuge question.

Hey, welcome to the forum Brian! My 1917 is one of my favorite rifles too.
    "They've took the fun out of running the race. You never see a campfire anywhere. There's never any time for visiting." - Joe Redington Sr., 1997

5. Default

Thanks. Haven't gotten around to taking pics, but my question is- Both my grandfather's rifle and mine did not load correctly. Cartridges would somehow space out in the magazine and lock up to where the bolt could not catch them. I figured the rifle was just old and the follower was worn so I shot it single shot only. Then I recently saw a video (and I had no idea) that my rifle should hold six rounds. Whenever I tried loading it, five rounds was the max. So I took the base plate off and out falls this piece of metal that was on top of the follower. It was stamped "M1917." I decided to just leave it out, put the base plate back on. Lo and behold the rifle now holds six rounds and cycles them beautifully. What the hell is this piece of metal that sat on top of the follower? I can take a pic if need be?

Probably need a picture to take a stab at your question.

7. Default

Last edited by briansm17; 01-18-2019 at 06:26.

Briansm17, if you haven't found out about this problem, post on the 1917 section on the forum. I'll bet you will get your answer.

john in SC
    “Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.” (Luke 22:36)

9. Default

Thanks. Removing this piece of metal fixed the issue. I just want to know if this was the govt.’s way of restricting magazine capacity.

10. Default

Welcome to the forum guys, nice to meet you.