Default Researching a WW II vet ..............

Gents,

I have a few items from a WW II veteran that Id like to start finding some research on.

Lt David Silverburg O1338648

He was part of the "Fighting 78 Infantry Division" and was eventually part of SHAEF in occupied Germany.

Any help with my research would be greatly appreciated.

rlc_hntr

Have you tired a NARDA request?
    To Error Is Human To Forgive Is Not SAC Policy

Try the social security death index. The Army records center for officers of WW2 burned and there are very few records available.

4. Default

You can start here: https://vetrecs.archives.gov/VeteranRequest/home.html

Don't be surprised to get the "1973 fire" letter - it wasn't just officers' records burned in 1973. But sometimes the staff there can create a partial record from what survived the fire, it's a crap shoot. Just re-apply. Read their covid-effects info...And the suggestion above about the SSDI is solid.

Blog Entries

Don't believe those fire letters. It's easier to send those than get off their butts and help. I got one for my father in law, a B26 tail gunner, and pushed back with the aircraft tail numner and assigned organistion and six months later got a pkg from a retired USAF Col. Volunteer with all kinds of training, promotion, assignment, actual copies of last mission briefings, tonnage dropped, where bailed out in France, MIA letters, repatriation and medical treatment, and more.

I wrote a personal thank you to the Col. Don't forget, most units have their own histories and historians. Many still have get togethers, tho the old guys don't travel much. Children and grand children join these groups, especially those with missing parents, just to find out of anyone knew the missing vet or any details. I found the bombrader on my FIL's crew, and 2 French resistance families that helped him after bailing out, thru the B26 alumni org "Marauder Men"; the B26 was named the Marauder". Everyone's dead now, so time is of the essence.

Good luck....never quit.
    Last edited by PWC; 05-05-2021 at 05:06.