Default Re: Springfield Heavy Barrel Rifle

Greetings,

Here's an interesting Springfield 1903 Heavy Barrel, possible International Match rifle, on Guns International. Not mine. Interested in opinions about it. I believe the stalk has been either modified or replaced.

Best Regards from Virginia,

Chris

https://www.gunsinternational.com/gu...n_id=100863916

Good looking rifle! International Match Rifle? Just don't know. Hopefully John Beard will be able to offer some information. Sincerely. bruce.
    " Unlike most conservatives, libs have no problem exploiting dead children and dancing on their graves."

3. Default

Not sure what he means by type ll. I have 3 HB rifles in my collection. None look like that.

The seller promotes the rifle as having been owned by Guy H. Emerson and identifies the rifle as having won the 1922 Wimbledon Cup. The photos and description are very limited, but the rifle is presumably fitted with a Winchester barrel. As I recall, Winchester did indeed make custom heavy barrels for the M1903 Springfield Action and the barrel appears authentic. The stock on the rifle, however, is a custom sporting stock that did not originate from Springfield Armory and was not likely on the rifle during competition. The seller does not mention any photos or documentation conclusively associating the rifle with Mr. Emerson. Therefore, Caveat Emptor!

J.B.
    Last edited by John Beard; 02-06-2019 at 06:32.

As always, many thanks for the concise and thorough response, John!

Best Regards from Virginia,

Chris

If I can find my Brophy book on the 1903, I think there is a picture of the same rifle ( maybe without the rubber pad ). I think Winchester called it the Sniper rifle.

7. Default

With all due respect, there is a section in Brophy's book (pages 249 - 251) describing Winchester "Sniper rifles". On page 250 there is a picture of Capt. Guy H. Emerson who used a "Type No. 2 Winchester Sniper Rifle "to win the 1922 Wimbledon Cup Match with score 0f 100-15 V's. The picture is in an ad and is not clear enough to show much detail. On the same page is a Winchester ad offering the Sniper in two different configurations: one with a modified service stock and the other with a custom stock having a Schnabel forearm and an internal barrel band. Starting on page 249 there are several pictures of a rifle having the same or similar characteristics as the subject rifle. The rifle pictured if Brophy's book shows a forward stock bolt - which I believe is unusual in custom stocks.
    Whether the rifle offered for sale is one of these advertized rifles and is indeed Emerson's rifle can only be determined with proper provenance. There are no serial numbers provided in the Brophy's book.
    FWIW

I actually didn't mean the SAME rifle, but one like it.

9. Default

Here's an interesting Springfield 1903 Heavy Barrel, possible International Match rifle, on Guns International. Not mine. Interested in opinions about it. I believe the stalk has been either modified or replaced.
    When I read 'heavy barrel' I think heavy barrel. There is no shortage of M1917/P14 receivers around here, there is no shortage of 98 type receivers around here; there is a shortage of 03 type receivers. I do not have an 03 type receiver I am willing to give up for an 03A4 barrel that has been chambered to the 308 Norma Mag. And now I have a 'very' heavy barrel for an 03. The heavy barrel has a wildcat chamber. The only 03 type receiver I would install one of the barrels on is a Remington; again I do not have a receiver I will give up for one of the two barrels.

I do have a Santa Fe 03 Remington before the 03A3 that is one of the most accurate rifle I own without a scope. And now? I am trying to track down a parade/welded receivers.

F. Guffey
    Last edited by fguffey; 02-09-2019 at 09:29.

10. Default

I have a few M1903A3 recovered drill rifle receivers for sale or trade.