Thread: M1870 rifle

Default M1870 rifle

Have been following this M70 rifle on gunbroker. Been in search for one some time now and most I have seen are rather beaten up, rusty and well plainly abused. This one, although rather dirty seems to be in fair condition. Anyone have any thoughts on the value. Auction # is 796885107. Thanks!

Appears to be complete and correct, at least from the info provided, but I'm not sure how much of that "patina" will come off, if such is your mind. It might be best to just leave it pretty much alone. I have three, and will be selling at least one. My current plan is to keep the (rare) trials version, and the late-production one, which looks similar to that one (wood's about the same, but metal is much smoother) leaving the early-production one with single-shoulder rod and no "Model". It has fairly crisp wood and nice metal which has been cleaned or possibly plated. I will be probably be looking for something in the $1,500 range for that one.

You could do worse than the one on GB, especially if you can get for close to where it is now and plan to possibly upgrade later. I have never, out here in CA, found a really nice 1870. Aside from being scarce to begin with, they must have been used hard, well into the .45-70 era, by second-echelon troops/teamsters, packers, and the like.

Thanks Dick. I was planning on cleaning it up, especially the wood. Looks to be rather dirty?? I believe some of the patina will clean up but other spots look to be pitted so they will not. I have seen some parts for sale On Al's site once in a while and at shows. Should I get it parts could most likely be found. The trigger guard looks to be well pitted!! The price for the one you are selling seems fare and I would be very much interested. I could not have it shipped to me as I live in NJ and it is not allowed as antiques are treated as any other fire arm and BB guns also!!They have to be transferd from FFL to FFL. However, parts can be shipped if it happened to fall apart. As you said they are hard to find in a nice condition. Is the one you mentioned selling on you picturetrail ?
    Last edited by Carlsr; 02-03-2019 at 04:54. Reason: added text

4. Default

You could always move to Arkansas!��

I'd love to move but not in the cards yet. Still have one at home with a job close by.

Carl, yes, the one I plan to sell is the one shown on my Picturetrail page. I'm sure something could be worked out, so far as shipment between the Peoples Republiks of CA and NJ is concerned, if need be. One of the biggest obstacles is overcoming the inertia of parting with my 'children'. That was my first M70, acquired from a very good friend - now deceased - over 40 years ago.

Sorry to hear about your good friend Dick. WOW!! you have had that rifle for many years. I understand completely about parting with one of your "children", I feel the same about mine. In my short years of collecting I have only parted with a couple rifles and although I was not as fond of them I still miss having them around. One was a Desert Eagle in 44 mag, one of the early models. Another was a Finnish Mosin and a Thompson Center Bone Collector, traded that for a Savage 99 take down in 30-30 that belonged to my Dad. Should you decide to part with it I can assure you it is going to a great home and will be well taken care of surrounded by many other Trapdoors, well maybe not many but 9 others. My first Trapdoor is a M88 RRB made in 1891, love shooting it and the one that got me hooked on collecting them.

Well I taped out on this one at 595.00 Better luck next time I guess. Did not want to take a chance on the rifling being badly pitted at a higher price. Would have been helpful if the seller posted some photos of the rifling. Forks of the Delaware show is this weekend and then there is the Baltimore show next month. Never been to the Baltimore show so this one will be new to me.