1. Default Positive interaction with Virginia State police

So my daughter hit a deer with her car. She called 911. My wife and I left for the scene and I brought the SIG with me, considering it was rural area at night. The Virginia trooper was already there. Very helpful and professional. It was determined that I could drive my daughters car to the body shop. Out of courtesy told the trooper I had to get a handgun out of my wifes car. No problem he said, then asked what I was carrying. He also mentioned I was doing the right thing, protecting the family, etc. Good guy.

good to know

I've been arrested a time or two. When asked to produce documentation, I mention that there is a gun in the glove box. This being AZ, or any other normal state the officer is cool with that, I produce the pistol and lay it on the seat. I produce my documentation.. and then I get arrested. I've had a cop ask me about the caliber.
    When I came upon a deer hit by a car(thirty yrs ago)and lying in the road, I took out my .22 and shot it in the head and drug it off the hiway. I thought about taking it home, but I'm not a hunter and didn't know what to do with it.
    Last edited by dryheat; 02-03-2019 at 11:24.
    If I should die before I wake...great,a little more sleep.

Virginia let you keep the deer? Guy I know hit one while diving a buddy's BMW in what amounts to Downtown Mississauga, Ont.(Suburb of Toronto.) Cops came(who are not allowed to shoot a car hit deer.), reported it to the MNR(Natural Resources) guys asks if he can take his deer and go. Cop didn't know the laws, but after is was sorted out the guy's buddies were all whining about how much money they spend going deer hunting while he gets one for free.
    "...took out my .22 and...didn't know what to do with it..." You shooting it is probably illegal. Ain't nothing crazier than hunting regs from anywhere, but technically you shot a deer without a hunting licence. There's always somebody around who would know exactly what to do next.
    Spelling and grammar count!

Here's what happens when you hit a horse. This happened a couple of days ago. We have feral horse by the river. Car was a BMW.
    DSC00936.jpg

Horses are just the right height to come through the windshield. That guy was lucky he wasn’t going very fast.
    "A generation which ignores history has no past and no future." - Jean Boden

"In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: It goes on."
    -- Robert Frost

The state has done it's duty to set up warnings. There are big solar/battery powered marquees warning drivers to slow down. They have put ripples in the road with painted signs to point out the horse crossings. It was noble. The horses have been here from the time I was in High School. They are feral, which means "sort of wild". They probably came from across the river from the Salt River Indian Reservation(actually, I think my dog came from over there too). They aren't documented(from what I know) old time western abandoned horses. But they are cool. I remember tubing down the river when a dozen or so romped across. It was a Marborle(cigarettes)kind of scene. But now days, if someone sees a horse it's a traffic jam. That's OK,it slows down traffic until it all dies down and they disperse. There are monitors who volunteer to direct traffic. They can't be everywhere. I've had a typical small group cross the road in front of me. Luckily, I'm old and have nothing more to do than look around so I slow down, but then I'm driving slow to begin with(Old Guy). I need to move. I dislike all this congestion in my AO(Boggs). I probably won't. That is all. Oh, and there are more deer in North America now, than there were when the pilgrims landed(from what I read twenty yrs ago).

DSC01900.jpg
    Last edited by dryheat; 02-06-2019 at 09:51.

8. Default

Yes you can keep the deer. You just ask the LEO to fill out a tag so you dont get nailed for poaching.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dryheat View Post
    Here's what happens when you hit a horse. This happened a couple of days ago. We have feral horse by the river. Car was a BMW.
    DSC00936.jpg
    that is not a BMW,

that is a Mercedes

We drove through New England on our way to Maine in 2010 and the moose that roam that area are a real hazard to cars, especially at night. They remove the trees that line the highways so that you can see them and actually going the speed limit after dark on rural roads can be dangerous.

I remember seeing a huge billboard along the interstate that had a picture of a moose sitting in the front seat of a car with its head sticking out of the hole where the windshield used to be.
    Last edited by Merc; 02-09-2019 at 09:34.