Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Full auto Garand

Going out on a limb here. My brother, while in service witnessed a Garand firing full auto. On the old TV show "Combat" they show a Garand firing full auto close up (yeah, I know it's Hollywood).

Question is: do any of you know anything about this? Is this something a Garand wears into or can be modified to do or did SA or others produce a prototype of such?

I already quizzed my brother, it wasn't an M14 nor a BM59. It was a Garand. We even commented about the uselessness of it since they only use the 8 round embloc clip.

When I was a kid had a neighbor who was @ Frozen Chosen and told us kids a story. In the early part of the advance north had several replacements who were careless with their M1's or slept when they shouldn't. Would pull the offenders trigger housing with one that was "modified" to go full auto. This usually was the trick to be more careful in combat. The offender usually took the hint, rarely was anything else needed to get their attention.
    Sam

Blog Entries

Its a simple, and unnecessary modification to the hammer hooks to limit sear engagement.

I believe the correct term is "En Bloc" clip, as in "all together". Not sure if that's a credit to the Canadian designer or not.
    "The first gun that was fired at Fort Sumter sounded the death-knell of slavery. They who fired it were the greatest practical abolitionists this nation has produced." ~BG D. Ullman

Without looking at the books, I'm pretty sure that such an animal did exist. I think it was prototyped by Springfield and underwent some field testing. I can't remember the nomenclature, but I do remember seeing it on one of the Garand books I have and I'm pretty sure it was a late war thing.
    I dream of a better world. One where chickens may cross the road without their motives being questioned.

I bet that lightening was a joy to ride.

A M14 on full auto was a handfull at best!

"...Is this something..." It's Hollywood and/or a broken or worn sear. The M1 Rifle was not designed to function in FA mode of any kind. Mind you, a carefully placed bit of wire will make one rock and roll.
    There have been modifications to put a 20 round mag on an M1 though.
    "...pull the offenders trigger housing..." Basically disengages proper functioning of the sear. The troopies have always been a clever bunch and knew how to re-work things. That's how Bradley got 1stArmy through the bocage. A sergeant came up with the idea to put teeth on a tank. Did it with German steel too.
    "...credit to the Canadian designer..." Sort of. JC's first design had a 20 round box mag. The U.S. Ordnance Dept. said they didn't want it.
    Spelling and grammar count!

Maybe it was a BAR.
    Spam Sniper- one click, one kill.

CSP is what you make it.

A picture of your gun is worth 1,000 words. A crappy picture is only worth 100.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff L View Post
    Maybe it was a BAR.
    Nope. My brother and I both own Garands--we're very familiar with them.

There is combat file footage of Garands firing bursts from the chest, and not in a bump fire technique.
    Last edited by togor; 01-22-2019 at 04:17.