Default Original or reproduction sling?

Picked up this sling about a year ago. Not sure if it is original or reproduction. It's about 66 1/2 " total length, including hook. It is sewn together, 1 1/4" wide with one keeper. There are no maker or inspector markings that I can see. I wiped it down with pecard as the leather was quite dry. IMG_1511.jpgIMG_1512.jpgIMG_1515.jpgIMG_1514.jpgIMG_1516.jpg

I vote repro - admittedly kind of a gut thing, but I do not like the color, slightly off-center hook placement, and especially the stitching, in one of the pictures.

It's getting harder and harder to tell originals from reproductions. I also vote for an old reproduction. If it's from the 60s, it's already over 50 years old.

Andy
    Never Give Up, Never Surrender!

Not the answer I was hoping for Dick. Seemed to look original as there are alot of wear spots and the leather has a bunch of cracking on it which is why I coated it with pecard to soften up the leather.

Carl, I'll be the first to admit that leather is not my strong suit - and - a hands-on inspection always conveys nuances that photos cannot.

IF it is a repro (and I really do not KNOW, one way or another) it is well-done. Did you have to pay a lot of money for it?

The single-hook slings were basically CW-period, with only secondary use on the earlier TDs. Most leather from that period is more often black, blackish, or very dark brown. Russet leather did not come into wide use, AFAIK, until substantially later.

I'm very open to correction on this if someone else wishes to chime in.

Dick, I'm not sure what I paid as I bought a few things that day including a trowel bayonet which I only paid 150 for, I remember that as I believe I got a great deal. Paid either 75 or 125, not sure?? Bought it for my M73 manufactured in 76, thought it would look good on that one but I guess it could work on my M68 as well.

One things seem fairly clear about slings is that SA was not very particular about what was used - it being just a carrying strap, and apparently it was not uncommon to switch them from one gun to another, and also to use them as long as they could, hence the splicings that we see.

IMHO, the sling would probably be a bit more appropriate on the 1868 than even an early 1873, but that is entirely up to you. The thin claw came next, with the heavy claw being last. A single hook would (to me) look somewhat out-of-place on an 88RRB, for example - but there are no absolutes; as noted they used what was available and in serviceable shape.

I was using the information on slings provided in a book called The 45 70 Springfield by Joe Poyer. He describes several types. First type had a standing loop and the second had a brass stud which mine has. Like you said it would probably be more appropriate for my 68. I do have an old reproduction sling with a standing loop, got that one free. It is also 65" long and 1 1/4" wide and brown. I figured I can use this one on my M66. I also have an original with the heavy double hook in somewhat ok shape, has seen better days. I have that one for my 88RRB.

I don't know the exact origin of OP's sling.

If I'm not mistaken, similar slings were used on Remington Rolling-Blocks, Sharps-Borchardt rifles, Danish Rolling-Blocks, and Danish Krags.