Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 38910111213

Quote Originally Posted by Cosine26 View Post
    Hi Merc
    That is quite a common USAF and USAAF item and was found in many different types of aircraft. I was a comm officer in a F84 squadron and flew B26's in Korea and B29's and B47's in SAC during the 1950's. I have flown other USAF aircraft and most all were equipped with this type of clock. It was very susceptible to theft and most crew chiefs had to keep an eye on them.
    FWIW
    Thanks for the information. The same antique dealer had a variety of aircraft dash gauges but the clock was the only one that functioned. Being a watch collector, I had to have it. The movement runs continuously now and will keep accurate time in horizontal and vertical positions without coaxing. I’m going to have it serviced because the movement is probably in original condition which means the lubricant has broken down and the setting knob functions intermittently.

My brother in law was a Squadron Maintenance Officer and flew F86 and F101 fighters in the early 1960s. The F86 was his favorite and he called the F101 a “flying piece of junk.”

2. Default

Hi Merc
    Finding someone to work on these mechanical time pieces is difficult. I finally found one who cleaned my Waltham Vanguard and installed a new mainspring. He was good but not inexpensive. He told me that if they had not been cleaned and lubed every five years.
    FWIW