1. Default Carbine Krag with Different Handguard Identification Please Help!!

Hello, I inherited this 1898 Krag Carbine from my Father when he passed. I am trying to identify if this is a real carbine or not. The main question I have is the unusual handguard. It is missing the metal barrel band and the indention where one would be. However I don't think it is just a case of a missing band the stock shows no sign of one was ever there. So my question has any of you seen a stock like this or is this a replica stock? Pictures of handguard attached additional pictures in link.

Thank

Model: 1898
    S/N: 132821

IMG_20190103_120338463.jpg.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/c58pZaYE4u96DpaA8

The Krag in the photo has no handguard* present. The forestock has been cut aft of the original barrel band. The barrel has been shortened to about 18" (some 4" less than a regulation carbine). The rear sight is installed backwards and is not a carbine sight. The presence of a butt swivel indicates the stock was likely made for a rifle, not a carbine. What I see is a cut-down Model 1898 rifle - a handy "sporter".

*The Krag handguard is a wooden cover over the top of the barrel from receiver ring to lower band.

3. Default

Parashooter,
    Thank you very much for your analysis. I knew handguard sounded wrong but I could not think of the forstock. Thank you. Also I always thought the sight was weird but it makes sense now. That so much help in one post.

4. Default

I fixed the sight and it make a lot more sense now. I think the person flipped it around to get a greater distance between the front sight and the rear sight but that is just a guess. Would anyone know what a "sporter" like this is worth?

Quote Originally Posted by vancec View Post
    . . . Would anyone know what a "sporter" like this is worth?
    Very little retail value (basically that of the unaltered parts). Incalculable sentimental potential.

Quote Originally Posted by vancec View Post
    ...... Would anyone know what a "sporter" like this is worth?
    The exterior condition looks pretty good. If the barrel is good it could be worth as much as $250-300. That short barrel might be nice if you have to get through a lot of brush or deadfalls with it, and the Krag round doesn't need a lot of barrel to burn all its powder. Keep it and shoot it, or use it as a backup/loaner on hunting trips.

Good luck with it.

jn

I've found the Krag sporter to be a fun shooter. Enjoy it at the range, use it for hunting (or both). The sentimental value is probably worth more than you'd get by selling it.

8. Default

This isa home made carbine. Many thousands of Krags were sold after WW II. through the old DCM. Some as cheap as 5.00. The carbines were more preferred for hunting, but there were only so many. The rifles were sold and they were modified by the owners to the nth degree. Don't despair, if the bore and headspace are in decent shape you will have a good shooter. Restoration to original configuration is impractical. Shoot and enjoy