Default Question about stamp in stock cut off recess

I have a stock that was purchased some years ago. It has the Philippine Ordnance Depot and a BA rebuild-
    inspection stamps.

My question is the letter stamped in the stock cut-off recess which is a J is there anyway to determine the
    time period of this stock ? It has the two stock bolts and profile of a post WW1 stockP1010034_1_0030_030.jpg

Seasons' Greetings!

I do not have a data base of stock cutoff recess markings, but I am familiar with some of the more common ones. A "J" is uncommon. I speculate that a "J" would date to the WWI period.

Some 1941-42 USMC stocks have a "J" in the cutoff recess. But I do not believe you have one of those.

Happy Holidays!

J.B.

JB

Since my post, I happen to check a post WW1 D.A.L. stock and found it also had a J stamp in the cut-off recess

Robert

I have seen Benecia mentioned many times as the depot that was the gateway to the Pacific, and I have docs of them shipping M1903's to the Phillipines as early as about 1910.

I have to admit that is a really neat stock! Hows the rifle look?

Quote Originally Posted by RCS View Post
    JB

Since my post, I happen to check a post WW1 D.A.L. stock and found it also had a J stamp in the cut-off recess

Robert
    Seasons' Greetings!

Thanks for your reply! If your "J"-marked stock is a "D.A.L." and is post-WWI, then it must be a relatively immediate post-WWI. The later stocks were not marked "J" in the cutoff recess.

Happy Holidays!

J.B.

Default stamp in cut-off recess

JB,

My D.A.L. stock with the J stamp in the cut-off recess could well be a WW1, what is also of interest is the additional
    marking on the right side of the butt, the marking MISS 1930 at an angle. This stock came from a collector who
    bought in with some other collectors a load of wood (by auction bid) from Rock Island Arsenal about 15 years ago.

Also of interest is that I saved some photos of a rifle recovered from the USS Missouri with a stock also marked MISS
    1928. These photos were in the old jouster forum on 9/9/05 posted by Kirk. I had serial numbers but am unable to
    locate them.

On my PODD stock, I bought this stock from Rick the Librarian some years ago. I have seen a PODM stock back in
    2005 but most are all PODD markeddscn0731_0013.jpg