Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Default

Do I see a third book in the works?

I'm not sure. I'm pretty happy with "More" and it is essentially "complete enough" though with electronic printing I can certainly add small updates as needed.

My current project (2020?) is to revise and update "58/50" to electronic format AND make it a perfect match (size, font, layout, etc.) with "More". I've accumulated some new material on the 68/68s, and a couple of guns for which I originally had to beg photos.

Beyond that, I'm just not sure. Age, health, and other issues could play a part. I MAY (having recently come into posession of a huge un-published manuscript and massive serial number archive) attempt to CO-author (if the legalities can be worked out) a book on the "common" models - again in matching format to the other two, just to round out the trilogy as it were, though that horse has been flogged a-plenty, and the audience is definitely shrinking. Of course, no one makes any money at this, it's just "fun" and the work keeps you young.

3. Default

Indeed!

4. Default

Just picked up another one of these muskets. Band spacing is the same as the shortest distance from muzzle to band. This new one even has the threaded tip cleaning rod. Photos to follow in a few days.

Will look forward to seeing them. The guns are a bit of a puzzle - that's for sure. Al says they are NOT an original SA build, and he may well be right. The thinned ones with middle band left in position are DEFINITELY bogus (as well as just being butt-ugly) but the tweeners are not - IMHO - yet settled for sure.

When I thin down (soon) I'll be keeping my two-bander as my 1st Allin example, and selling my 3-bander (which is a restoration, and will be priced accordingly).

6. Default

The thing that is still a puzzle is the slightly longer nose on one of the two muskets posted earlier. This musket has the shorter nose which happens to be the length on the standard three band muskets. The sighting groove is the same on all three muskets and is the same groove on my three band first Allin. All three of these muskets are well done with original proportioned wrists and flats on the stocks. I hesitate to differ with Al, but my take is that these are Springfield produced muskets along the lines of the two band Second Allins likely altered to more closely approximate the contemporary 45/70 trapdoors.

- - - Updated - - -

Just noticed the slight difference in the sight notch! Will pull these muskets out and compare again.

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Hosmer View Post
    When I thin down (soon) I'll be keeping my two-bander as my 1st Allin example, and selling my 3-bander (which is a restoration, and will be priced accordingly).
    Dick, I’d be keenly interested in your #62 if there ever comes a time that you decide to part with it.