Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Aside from the fact that both styles of sighting notch occur, it is interesting that the wood ahead of the uppper band is not the same. Are barrels exactly the same length? To me the fact that the 1865 Cadets do show both styles of sight notch is a "strike" against them being SA. If they were, they should all be the same, unless they were converted from 1865s rather than muskets. It's a grand game - and we don't have ALL the answers!

Thanks for the photos Kragrifle. I would have to agree with Dick about the wood past the upper band, one is longer than the other. Seems that the cleaning rods are different lengths as well due to the location of the swelled area. Looks like one is higher than the other. They are nicer looking than the one on collectors who by the way has not responded to my questions as of yet.

Thanks to a gentleman's tip a few years back I am ahead with Collectors - they let an 1870 Trials rifle (rear sight tight to SHORT receiver, like the carbine) slip through their fingers for the price of a standard one. Condition's not the greatest but they are VERY scarce.
    Last edited by Dick Hosmer; 12-31-2018 at 07:19.

4. Default

Kragrifle, Can you comment on the apparent length differences of the forestock in front of the band? Are the barrels the same length with the same type crown?

5. Default

Muskets, barrels and cleaning rods are all the same length. Both front barrel bands are identical. The bright musket confirms exactly to the description by Joe DeChristopher in his early catalog. The inspector cartouches of both Porter and Allin on this musket, as well as the overall workmanship convince me this is a Springfield creation. As to the blued version, the workmanship is equally as good (note the front band and filled in band spring slot). The lock plate on this musket is dated 1862, where the bright musket is dated 1865 (first Allin)-significance?

I once had an 1868 TD that was blued. Was this a cleaned and repaired musket? Was bluing used for later guns as the 45 cal rifles were being produced?

As for the different band spacing-I have no idea. In fact, this is the first time I ever laid these muskets side by side.

I guess the next thing for those of us who own such guns to do is to report their band spacing dimension(s) - with the assumption that the lower band is cast in stone.