Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Strangely quiet

Automatic weapons were once legal to own.

I personally know of one bump stock and it’s actually owned by a cop. I was there when he fired it and the rapid fire capability is impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by Merc View Post

I personally know of one bump stock and it’s actually owned by a cop. I was there when he fired it and the rapid fire capability is impressive.
    But since you hold the weapon loosely can you actually hit anything? I can see how the bump stock was effective for the Vegas shooter because he shot into a solid city block of meat. People standing shoulder to shoulder couldn't be missed nor could they run but how many other situations would it be usable?

I think this is why the BATF declared them as legal in the first place. Perhaps they saw them as a novelty item more so than a weapon of mass murder.

I suppose the trigger cranks will fall under the same new ruling. BTW I've noticed that sellers on Gun Broker are still selling or trying to sell the bump stocks. Maybe they are just trying to rid their inventory? I see them listed from $130 to $200.
    Last edited by Allen; 12-19-2018 at 07:13.

If you have a Ruger MK I through IV, hold the gun in your left hand, stick your right forefinger into the trigger guard and rotate it rapidly. You can empty the magazine in a fraction of a second.

Quote Originally Posted by togor View Post
    What's this about headspace in an SMLE? Everyone knows that rear lug guns are of an inferior design for longevity because the receiver will stretch the same way that a longer rope stretches more than a shorter one. Short bolt throw is at best a pedestrian virtue. All praise to the Mauser brothers for showing us the way.

- - - Updated - - -

Bump stocks: you wonder what other possibilities will be discovered in existing law going this same route. Congress should have done it, not the DOJ+BATFE.
    Wooo Tex, everyone knows if headspace goes on the Kings majestic rifle on a 0 bolt head you replace it with a 1, then a 2, then a three....It’s that simple , kinda like stacking Lincoln Logs.....(disregard this hogwash it’s done to confuse Tex,). Carry on

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Allen View Post
    But since you hold the weapon loosely can you actually hit anything? I can see how the bump stock was effective for the Vegas shooter because he shot into a solid city block of meat. People standing shoulder to shoulder couldn't be missed nor could they run but how many other situations would it be usable?

I think this is why the BATF declared them as legal in the first place. Perhaps they saw them as a novelty item more so than a weapon of mass murder.

I suppose the trigger cranks will fall under the same new ruling. BTW I've noticed that sellers on Gun Broker are still selling or trying to sell the bump stocks. Maybe they are just trying to rid their inventory? I see them listed from $130 to $200.
    Buddy was good at hooking his thumb in his belt loop and bump firinghis AK. Sounded impressive, but he mainly made noise and farmed the yard,

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jiminvirginia View Post
    First question is how many people actually own a bump stock? Second question is how many actually use it? I suspect that this ruling realistically affects about 10 people in the country.
    Also, cant think of an example but I suspect there have been many items that were legal and then became illegal.
    uzi bolts
    HK trigger housings,
    various other gun parts that have been deemed NFA and yet, on there own, or in some cases installed in a semi gun, do not make it a MG

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Merc View Post

they still are in many states,

Quote Originally Posted by Vern Humphrey View Post
    If you have a Ruger MK I through IV, hold the gun in your left hand, stick your right forefinger into the trigger guard and rotate it rapidly. You can empty the magazine in a fraction of a second.
    In my late 20's I had a Marlin/Glenfield 60 that I could "bump fire" into a pile of railroad ties. Wore that sucker out twice. Replaced with fresh parts once. The second time it wasn't worth it. Not for a $59.95 rifle.
    But....at least I got my cheap "go-fast jollies" out of my system.

I won't be wrecking my Ruger MkII, but thanks for the tip all the same.
    2016 Chicago Cubs. MLB Champions!

**Never quite as old as the other old farts**

Look what New Jersey just did 18 months in jail and a $10,000 fine for any magazine over 10 rds
    https://gunforhire.com/nj-gun-mag-ban/

8. Default

It would be a hoot if the first person nailed in NJ is some little old widower who calls the police for a noise in the basement. Thats where the police find her deceased husbands stash of 15 round M1 carbine mags that he got from the CMP decades ago.
    I had heard, cant confirm, that something like that happened in Massacusetts years ago when they passed the mandatory year in jail if you have a firearm without an FID card. First person nailed was a old lady crossing a street in rural Ma to shoot a rat in her barn.

This problem is the creation of the BATF and should return to them. Compensation for the turn in of the stocks should be paid out of their budget, not the general fund. It is unethical to confiscate without compensation. Who signed off that this "part" was legal in the first place?
    Sam

[QUOTE=Vern Humphrey;546783...

This is a horrible precedent -- taking private property without due process of law.

...[/QUOTE]

If there is no due process the Court will have its say. The Supremes are pretty strong on property rights and the fifth amendment provisions regarding them.

jn