Default 39th edition Blue Book on flash drive.

Just received the new Blue Book of gun values on flash drive.
    Photos are amazing and searching for an item is quick and easy.
    Credit card size makes it easy to tote along.

Blog Entries

I use the online edition
    the phone app sucks, but it does well on the laptop

Quote Originally Posted by lyman View Post
    I use the online edition
    the phone app sucks, but it does well on the laptop
    How do you use it and how well does it work out for you? I only do a few shows a year. Rolling parts of my collection over to buy something else I must have. I have always seen BB as a very loose reference guide to get started researching actual prices elsewhere. Otherwise I feel it's akin to making stock trades based on a week old edition of the Wall St Journal.
    It has become a habit to shut up and walk away whenever someone pulls out the BB as though it's the Bible.
    2016 Chicago Cubs. MLB Champions!

**Never quite as old as the other old farts**

The Blue Book of Gun Values, new or otherwise, gives average prices from all over the U.S. with no regard for local supply and demand. "A very loose reference guide" is a good description. Accurate it ain't.
    Spelling and grammar count!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JB White View Post
    How do you use it and how well does it work out for you? I only do a few shows a year. Rolling parts of my collection over to buy something else I must have. I have always seen BB as a very loose reference guide to get started researching actual prices elsewhere. Otherwise I feel it's akin to making stock trades based on a week old edition of the Wall St Journal.
    It has become a habit to shut up and walk away whenever someone pulls out the BB as though it's the Bible.
    I use it as a guide, on commercial stuff it helps me make sure I have the right model, serial number range etc etc,
    NEVER use blue book as a guide for milsurps,, the info is suspect, and the prices are rarely close,

commercially, for a few years the S&W revolver prices were way undervalued,

the prices on some stuff is accurate, other stuff way off,

I have had several folks at shows and at work, quote the blue book, or flaydermans, or some other reference, (even the Smith book by Supica,, way old data )

I tell them I use a couple things , plus a little,

couple are Gunborker, completed auctions only, (true sold prices as in it had a winning bid) and personal experience (as in I sold one last month for XXX)

the 3rd for oddball stuff is a google search for other auction sites, collectors inc, or simpsons, for a basic asking price,
    keeping in mind the auctions include premiums, and the other 2 are well known , somewhat respected, and haggle

as far as actual parts, accessories etc, I rarely sell those at shows,
    most go on Ebay, even with the 11% or so they get off the top, it is still the best market for most parts and accessories,

for US parts I will look at Bill Ricca and Amherst Arms, as a guide, if I cannot find them on ebay,
    simply cause ricca is respected, and Jay at Amherst is a friend, (drank many a beer with him at shows)
    Last edited by lyman; 12-19-2018 at 09:19.

Regarding Simpson's. If you went into the store itself, they used to knock as much as 20% off fairly easy as soon as you began to waffle. (The first step in haggling is disinterest on the buyers part) Depending upon the item, they might come down some more.
    More recently I don't know since I haven't been to Galesburg in a number of years. I do know that there is an upswing in buyers who don't mind paying the tag and go. That might have an effect and blow the haggling out the window.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JB White View Post
    Regarding Simpson's. If you went into the store itself, they used to knock as much as 20% off fairly easy as soon as you began to waffle. (The first step in haggling is disinterest on the buyers part) Depending upon the item, they might come down some more.
    More recently I don't know since I haven't been to Galesburg in a number of years. I do know that there is an upswing in buyers who don't mind paying the tag and go. That might have an effect and blow the haggling out the window.
    yep, never been, but heard they deal,
    all shops do, and sometimes you have to,
    wise to keep that in mind when buying,

My favorite is when sellers use it to price their milsurp weapons, they use the highest price ignoring condition issues that effect the price.
    Spam Sniper- one click, one kill.

CSP is what you make it.

A picture of your gun is worth 1,000 words. A crappy picture is only worth 100.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff L View Post
    My favorite is when sellers use it to price their milsurp weapons, they use the highest price ignoring condition issues that effect the price.
    That's my least favorite. That is why I shut up and walk away. It was a turd when he bought it but he thinks I'll believe it's platinum when he's selling.

Only a rough reference for sure, but some of the photos an ser# guide are what make it worth while to me. The usb version makes a fast search of it.