Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

We always talk to our 2 dogs. They absolutely understand us!

Same here. Though they obviously don't know every word some words they recognize very well. The tone of your voice has a lot to do with it too but some words they absolutely know. Like children they all know what "no" means and like children they don't like it. My wife and I have to be careful what we say around our "grandpuppy".

My dog understands every word I say -- he just doesn't give a xxxx.

"...They absolutely understand us..." Of course they do. However, if you're talking to a dog, like a security dog trained in German, he will not understand you. He doesn't speak English. As daft as that sounds.
    It's cats that don't give a xxxx. In any language. You have to make 'em think it was their idea. snicker.
    Spelling and grammar count!

The best to describe my daughter’s labs, ages 5 (female) and 11 (male), is to say they are like golden retrievers on caffeine overdose. I’d say they probably know more than a dozen spoken words very well and countless body language signals. My sister’s 7 year old female golden retriever is equally as intelligent, loves everyone and seems content to just nap or follow you around all day. They are by far the best dogs I’ve known and are very trainable. The female lab is my son in law’s duck hunting retriever. EADC8489-E4BA-48BC-B043-7E81A811A823.jpg01E82EB0-47D2-4609-90F6-135541EB42EC.jpg3D80533E-E941-4F66-819B-2814464A7233.jpg

Hum. Sounds about right! Sincerely. bruce.
    " Unlike most conservatives, libs have no problem exploiting dead children and dancing on their graves."

Blog Entries

We have two Poms and a Yorkie mix; they understand more English than some current highschool graduates. Even when we spell a word, their ears come up and they listen intently. Hey know that's not a normal speach pattern and it isn't long til that doesn't work anymore. We know enough canine to understand the "outside" and "hungry" look when they don't speak. They let us know when something isn't right. They may survive us, if not it will be sad time without a dog.
    Last edited by PWC; 12-25-2018 at 08:56.

Quote Originally Posted by Vern Humphrey View Post
    My dog understands every word I say -- he just doesn't give a xxxx.
    Yup.
    "They've took the fun out of running the race. You never see a campfire anywhere. There's never any time for visiting." - Joe Redington Sr., 1997

Quote Originally Posted by PWC View Post
    They may survive us, if not it will be sad time without a dog.
    I know how you feel. While I don't particularly want to die I don't want to outlive my dog.