Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Default

If you have not tried the different Sharp Shooter Products against your favorites, how can you objectively know which is better?

I do know that the original market for Wipe Out was Bench Rest shooters who did not want ANY abrasive product or sharp implement on their expensive bores. I had very good results in getting out layers of carbon and copper - your mileage may vary. CC
    Colt, Glock and Remington factory trained LE Armorer
    LE Trained Firearms Instructor

If you read the guys writing, you will see he tried it all.

Also like him, I have a boroscope. What seemed clean was not.

YRMV

3. Default

Cleaning: do a Google search on how to do clean a bore via electrolysis. Pretty simple to do an all you need is a steel rod, two pieces of copper wires and an old phone charger (cut end off, separate the wires)

Pitted bore: I strongly suggest to try shooting cast bullets (.310, .311) using low velocity loads (ie. 16 gr Alliant 2400). I have an M1917 with a badly pitted bore. Can't hit a 2' x 3' target frame at 50yds with M2 ball. Prints a decent group at 50yds with the aforementioned load. I also tried a load that was noted years back on Box o Truth website: regular rifle powder (ex. IMR 4895) pushing a 303 British bullet - .311 180gr Spitzer. That load cloverleafs for me at 50yds. Transformed a wall hanger into a gong ringer. Won't ever win a match but I kept my rifle original

Here's the link to the Box O Truth post about using the 303 British bullets in the M1917:
    https://www.theboxotruth.com/educati...-an-old-rifle/
    Last edited by steved66; 01-07-2019 at 09:57.

It is a waste of time and effort to try and restore a sewer pipe bore.
    The are a lot of new old stock barrels still out there.

Last shot at cleaning netted shredded woven cotton patches, leaving remnants stuck to the sharp edges of the craters in the lands. Revealed pitting that completely 'cut' the lands, and extend below the original surface of the grooves. M2 ball round in the muzzle is 'normal', about what I get when put the same bullet in a new SA 1903 barrel. Took one of the cases of a cartridge that I fired in this rifle, gently squeezed the neck until it would just hold a pulled 150 fmj, put the rim under the extractor, and pushed it into the chamber. Bullet was pushed back to just shy of the cannelure. Chamber is bright, and free of any damage. What I've got is the result of neglect and abuse.
    Located a new, in the wrap, 1919 dated Winchester replacement barrel, and negotiated price, including removal/installation, and Parker type finish on all the metal. Cost would be a very close match to what the CMP Custom Shop would get for the same work, installing a Criterion. Will keep the original, take-off barrel with the rifle, just 'because'. I swapped out the non-Winchester parts, with the correct pieces that were installed on a couple of mixmaster 1917 Sporters, so the rifle is at least now "correct", as it sits.

Sounds like a good outcome, enjoy it.