Thread: Restore, conserve, or build a shooter?

Hybrid View

First, that is a pretty good looking gun and the stock damage is not bad. Needs cleaning up maybe. It looks to be the orignal blue and those are not common. Not a huge killer collector but has apeal.

Next, I would get a Muzzle Wear and more important throat erosion l gauge and see what those reading are. PM me if you are serious and I can help out possibly.

Steven Mathews makes one for something around $64. Its not calibrated to the 1917 but its pretty close and in the case of the TE you just want to know generally what it is.

A long loaded bullet in a sized case can tell you what you need to know as well. You want it to be at some reasonable value in relationship to COAL. If its as far out as you can get it and it still does not touch the lands then its likely a goner. Tell me what you used and I can duplicate and let you know.

If its worth even cleaning then use one of the modern cleaners that are non haz and little or now odor. The use chemistry and not brute force.

If its a goner then re-barrel with a Criterion barrel. They make really good barrels. Chuck in Denver ala Warpath is a well known barrel changer. Yours is not a super collector, so replacing the barrel is not a crime.

Keep in mind, pitting is not a death sentence. A badly eroded throat is as is a worn muzzle but I have yet to see a bad muzzle and I have seen bad throats. If you look at a modern button rifled Savage it too is ugly, but all the jerks pits etc from the button don't affect accuracy. Makes it harder to clean but not inaccurate. I have some I could not clean up with regular chemical that look like they came out of the factory with the following (keep in mind they are still Savage like but only an after market barrel maker will polish (lap) a bore and many do not -Criterion I believe does.

I have a 1920 era 1903 that has a pretty grim looking barrel (and does not clean up all that well) but it sill shoots pretty darn good.

I use Carbon Killer 2000, drizzle it on a nylon brush (it holds the stuff better) run it through, drills more on on the end, pull it back until you get something resembling clean.

At that point run it through and just repeated 5 strokes and a dry patch until it is clean.

Bore Tech Eliminator is good if you run into a copper layer (its also a good carbon cleaned but not as good as CK2K.
    Last edited by RC20; 12-15-2018 at 06:58.