Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: .22 LR revolver

Default .22 LR revolver

Looking for suggestions on a good .22 revolver. Something with a 4" barrel. Thoughts?

Double action or single action ? What is your price range? Lots of choices, need a few specifics of what you are looking for.

Look around and find and buy a S&W model 18. I have been shooting S&W 17 and 18 revolvers since 1982. For the range and for the woods and fields, the model 18 is simply ideal beyond words. It is the very best .22 LR revolver ever produced by any one at any time period. Get one. You'll very much be thrilled with it. Sincerely. bruce.
    " Unlike most conservatives, libs have no problem exploiting dead children and dancing on their graves."

My preference would be a DA revolver. I've had a High Standard Sentinel Deluxe suggested to me. From what I can tell, the gun went out of production in the late 1960's/early 1970's. Has anyone owned one?

I have a High Standard Sentinal convertible in 22LR / 22 Mag. I purchased it for my Dad because he liked 22 Magnum rifles. I found it used for less than $100 and the barrel underlug reminded me of a Colt Detective Special. People would occasionally ask what I was shooting at the range. When loaded with 22 magnums the noise and muzzle flash was impressive. There is really nothing special about the Sentinal, but it is an economical plinker.

I believe the Sentinal Deluxe may have an aluminum frame. The Sentinel MK I and MK IV were the first of the series to have a steel frame.
    Last edited by gwp; 12-06-2018 at 02:49.

Quote Originally Posted by bruce View Post
    Look around and find and buy a S&W model 18. I have been shooting S&W 17 and 18 revolvers since 1982. For the range and for the woods and fields, the model 18 is simply ideal beyond words. It is the very best .22 LR revolver ever produced by any one at any time period. Get one. You'll very much be thrilled with it. Sincerely. bruce.
    +1

The only difference between the model 17 and 18 is the barrel length (6" and 4"). The 18 has been out of production for a while but can still be found. I have a model 17 with the 3 T's and a 917 which is a 10 shot SS. The 17 may be out of production now but the 917 is still produced. You just have to watch what variation you buy. Some are 6 shot, later ones were 10 shot, some had aluminum cylinders. The current production models have the factory safety lock so many folks choose to get a nice used one w/o the government BS. Won't be an issue if you stick with the 18 4" since it went out of production prior to the changes. With this quality comes price though. Most of the used 917's are higher than the new ones too due to the lock.

I have a S&W model 34 4" nickel too. Nice gun but what I consider a ladies pistol due to the smaller frame than the 18. I shot a carpenter bee with it one day as it was flying (hovering) using a 22lr bullet (not shot) so it's a versatile little gun too.
    Last edited by Allen; 12-06-2018 at 03:59.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by gwp View Post
    I have a High Standard Sentinal convertible in 22LR / 22 Mag. I purchased it for my Dad because he liked 22 Magnum rifles. I found it used for less than $100 and the barrel underlug reminded me of a Colt Detective Special. People would occasionally ask what I was shooting at the range. When loaded with 22 magnums the noise and muzzle flash was impressive. There is really nothing special about the Sentinal, but it is an economical plinker.

I believe the Sentinal Deluxe may have an aluminum frame. The Sentinel MK I and MK IV were the first of the series to have a steel frame.
    they did offer several barrel lengths, and are generally reliable shooters,
    they are relatively inexpensive,

I have one, and have had 0 issues with it,

and +1 to the Smith revolvers, I have a 17-4 (6") that is fantastic,

18's 17's and 617's are all available in 4 " barrels,

if you like a smaller size, look for a model 34, they are based on the J frame

Quote Originally Posted by Greyjoy View Post
    My preference would be a DA revolver. I've had a High Standard Sentinel Deluxe suggested to me. From what I can tell, the gun went out of production in the late 1960's/early 1970's. Has anyone owned one?
    My dad bought me one when I was about 12 years old (haven't times changed) and it has been a rugged excellent shooter. Like the earlier Colt revolvers, the cylinder locks up on the hand leaving no slack in the cylinder when it fires. Local gun shop has one that looks almost new.

Don't know what you want the revolver for, but for much carrying my pick would be the S&W .22 "Kit Gun" (Model 34 I think). I have the aluminum frame and cylinder Model 43 Kit Gun (14 oz.) that I carry any time I am in the woods, and so light I don't know I have it on.

I really, REALLY like my Model 18, but very close second is my Model 63, though I had to put larger grips on it to be comfortable to shoot. Shot High Standard revolvers when I was a teenager, as did my buds, and they're functional, fairly rugged, and accurate. Some of the later, steel framed Harrington and Richardson revolvers were pretty nice. I always wanted one of the top break H&R's, but never got round to putting one in the safe.

10. Default

if you look around the used gun racks you are likely to find something. have you looked at the rossi PLINKER ?