Thread: $1000 Scope

Default $1000 Scope

Hi guys,
    Been out of the game for a while now. Just want some advice on what scope to get. I used to have the gen1 pst viper and love it. As of now I'm leaning towards the Gen 2 model. All I want the scope for is a good long range target gun. Itll go on my fn TSR XP 300wsm. Thanx guys!!
    P.s. I'll prolly be lucky to find a 1000 yards. Of course, ya never know. I say that because I wander if I really need ffp or sfp. Thanx again

Speak English and learn to spell
    john
    “Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.” (Luke 22:36)

Blog Entries

What do ffp and sfp mean?

Quote Originally Posted by Herschel View Post
    What do ffp and sfp mean?
    It is all about how the sighting reticle reacts to changing the power setting of the scope. First Focal Plane (FFP) has gained popularity for long range shooting. Earlier Second Focal Plane (SFP) variable power scopes with the mildot reticles were used at a fixed power setting for the ranging to be correct.

https://www.americanhunter.org/artic...d-focal-plane/

A riflescope’s reticle is placed in either the first focal plane (FFP) or the second focal plane (SFP). The main difference between them is that an SFP reticle will appear to be the same size regardless of magnification. With an FFP reticle, the size of the reticle will appear to change as the scope’s magnification is changed.

Blog Entries

if you were comfortable with the first vortex you had, then it seems a similar new model would work well for you

can't help with the FFP vs SFP, most of the scopes I have are vintage fixed power unertl or lyman scopes,

The Viper PST Gen 2 has Japanese glass correct?

Blog Entries

not sure, may be Chinese or other Asian makers,

the few I have looked thru are mighty clear

If you are going to range with the reticle and do so mainly inside 800 yards the FFP will be a plus. Outside 800 FFP as a ranging reticle becomes problematic. FFP also costs more than SFP, so if you don’t need it save some money. The Bushnell DMR II non illuminated and Burris XTR are at your max price range in FFP scopes. Vortex, Athlon, and Sightron also have scopes in that budget range. I’ve been around the Bushnell DMR and HDMR scopes the most and they all dial. Not the best glass but if they don’t dial right doesn’t matter if you can see it. Get it in mil/mil or MOA/MOA whatever you buy. Good luck.