Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Loose ends

Default Loose ends

Late last night I had a health scare. I will spare you of all the details but I honestly thought at the time it was my last night on earth. After about an hour or so I realized I was getting better and would more than likely live on. My darkest thoughts at the time was how could my son and brother contend with all my loose end projects? I'm not ready to die and my house is not in order. I'm probably the worse on this issue having worked nearly 20 years at a job with rotating 12hr shifts an hour away from home. My eyes and ego have always been better than my means so I have ended up with a lot of unfinished projects that only I know the status of and where the parts are.

I suppose none of us are ever ready to die but in my particular case it would be messy. Some things I can't help such as the price of stocks I have purchased but others I do.

This is just another reminder that regardless of our age our days are getting shorter and that 20 year project of fixing the gutter probably won't get finished. If not fixed by now it's best to face reality and hire someone. Many of you have discussed reducing your gun herd. I'm not there yet, in fact I'm on the other side of it with many rifle and pistols to put together that I have accumulated parts for.

In summary we need to finish what we can and sell off things we will never use or give them to family members. As obvious as these facts are last night was a real wake-up call for me.

2. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Allen View Post
    Late last night I had a health scare. I will spare you of all the details but I honestly thought at the time it was my last night on earth. After about an hour or so I realized I was getting better and would more than likely live on. My darkest thoughts at the time was how could my son and brother contend with all my loose end projects? I'm not ready to die and my house is not in order. I'm probably the worse on this issue having worked nearly 20 years at a job with rotating 12hr shifts an hour away from home. My eyes and ego have always been better than my means so I have ended up with a lot of unfinished projects that only I know the status of and where the parts are.

I suppose none of us are ever ready to die but in my particular case it would be messy. Some things I can't help such as the price of stocks I have purchased but others I do.

This is just another reminder that regardless of our age our days are getting shorter and that 20 year project of fixing the gutter probably won't get finished. If not fixed by now it's best to face reality and hire someone. Many of you have discussed reducing your gun herd. I'm not there yet, in fact I'm on the other side of it with many rifle and pistols to put together that I have accumulated parts for.

In summary we need to finish what we can and sell off things we will never use or give them to family members. As obvious as these facts are last night was a real wake-up call for me.
    It's called intimations of mortality.

You are so right. About three months ago I started a list of my weapons, est. cost, where I purchased, serial nbrs. and who is to get what. I also added an addendum to my will and had my signature Notarized as to the distribution of same. Nobody gets anything until I'm in my VASE>>>>

john
    “Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.” (Luke 22:36)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JOHN COOK View Post
    You are so right. About three months ago I started a list of my weapons, est. cost, where I purchased, serial nbrs. and who is to get what. I also added an addendum to my will and had my signature Notarized as to the distribution of same. Nobody gets anything until I'm in my VASE>>>>

john
    excellent !!! glad you are ahead of the game,

soapbox time,

my brother and I own a business,
    we are a FFL/SOT that deal with mostly collectables, and estates,

as in if we are not buying and flipping guns at shows or on the net, we purchase estates from folks that had firearms, hunted, competed , reloaded etc,

basically I'l go in and make a FAIR offer to the widow/family for the firearms, ammo, accessories, reloading gear etc that the family does not want to keep, and sometimes do the same for folks that are getting out of the firearms hobby before they pass, to use the cash elsewhere,

my daytime job is buying firearms only, used, for a local shop, (they do not have a conflict with me having a side job)

anyway, I cannot tell you how many times I hear about someone passing away, and the family either getting screwed, or not having a clue what they sold what for,

case in point,
    when my day job was in another business, and we had just got our FFL/SOT after my father passed (we continued his businss under another FFL ) I met a friend of a friend,
    this guys Father in Law had passed,

he was a trap/skeet shooter, reloader, hunter, and had apparently shot some Bullseye in the past,
    he had a few daughters,
    when he passed, one of the Son In Laws came in and got the guns out of the house incase of a break in, (guy lived alone)
    then the daughters took everything the family did not want and had a yard sale,

I found out about this when I was at his place to buy a nice Smith 41 w/ extra barrel from him for my collection/shooting hobby,
    i ended up consigning the rest of the firearms, and when I picked them up, he brought out a paper towel box full of junk (old slings, and misc crap we all have in a closet or drawer somewhere)

when I asked where boxes for the guns, or accessories, or extra mags etc were, he then told me it was sold at a yardsale,

imaging 15 guns with of accessories,
    reloading gear to load 10+ calibers,
    skeet/trap accessories,

etc etc,

all sold at likely 10cents on the dollar,

what is the point of my long typed response,

make notes on what you have, if you plan on keeping it,
    include the following

> what it is
    > what it is worth (matters not what you paid for it, and be real in your pricing)
    > any accessories that go with it,
    > who to trust, if help is needed selling it
    > who to stay away from (known sharks/lowballers)
    > who you have left anything too, (uncle bob gets my reloading press, aunt june gets the smith revolver, etc etc)

and anything else you can think of,

or, just say F it, and let your kinfolk sort it out,

- - - Updated - - -

glad you are ok!

- - - Updated - - -

glad you are OK!!

I'm sure many of us here have looked into deaths eyes a few times and can relate to that feeling. I know I can.

Allen, glad you're still among us. Live it with a smile.
    2016 Chicago Cubs. MLB Champions!

**Never quite as old as the other old farts**

I'm with you.
    To Error Is Human To Forgive Is Not SAC Policy

Years ago, I did what lyman advised as to property and wills. Everything has a place to go to to call home.

lyman thank you for the post i am thinking a lot about what you said i have a large collection of military everything my 2 daughters don't care and their husbands don't, i have no family left my wife said get rid of everything because if something happened to me she would just give it all away.She is very well off financially so my things would go cheap at a yard sale or something

Thanks for all the encouragement. Looks like a lot of you are ahead of me on this.

When we go we need to leave behind good memories and good junk. Not a lot of incomplete task and unlabeled gun parts.

SO MOTE IT BE !!!

john
    “Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.” (Luke 22:36)