Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Default

When VCRs (?) came in, an acquaintance bought a top of the line Fisher. When I asked him it about he said:
    "The more you have, the more you don't use."
    Last edited by blackhawknj; 12-03-2018 at 08:59.

JB,

The Iphone is a wonderful tool. It has a great compass on it and a level. You can download a free app called "WAZE" which is a great GPS device for driving. I remember my Dad's first video camera, you needed 2 mules and swamper to carry it around and it cost about $2K in the early 80's. The quality of the videos and pictures are a thousand times better from an Iphone. Being that my business always has me on different construction sites, I could not function today without my computer being hooked up to the internet and the "Hot Spot" on the Iphone does that for me. If you have cell service in your hunting country, the satellite imagery from Google maps is a bonus.

I don't play games and typically once I am home it goes on the shelf until the next day or Monday.

KTK

Ken, I found the tools. The compass is good and I'll probably use it. The bullseye level feature may come in handy too. The flashlight is surely bright enough. Thanks for the tip on WAZE.
    Like most boys with new toys I played with 'Siri'. She now has a beautiful BBC English accent and calls me Lovie.

The phone is actually too large for my liking. Clunky and binds against me while driving. I find myself laying it down instead of clipping it to me. I fear I might walk away from it someday and not miss it until I need it. I should start developing a new habit of some sort. One that doesn't involve a pocket and sitting on it, or staying inside my jacket after I go inside. Is that why so many inner-city boys carry purses?
    2016 Chicago Cubs. MLB Champions!

**Never quite as old as the other old farts**

I complained when the cost to use a pay phone went from a dime to a quarter . . .

. . . so they took out all the pay phones and replaced them with cells.
    "They've took the fun out of running the race. You never see a campfire anywhere. There's never any time for visiting." - Joe Redington Sr., 1997

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JB White View Post
    Ken, I found the tools. The compass is good and I'll probably use it. The bullseye level feature may come in handy too. The flashlight is surely bright enough. Thanks for the tip on WAZE.
    Like most boys with new toys I played with 'Siri'. She now has a beautiful BBC English accent and calls me Lovie.

The phone is actually too large for my liking. Clunky and binds against me while driving. I find myself laying it down instead of clipping it to me. I fear I might walk away from it someday and not miss it until I need it. I should start developing a new habit of some sort. One that doesn't involve a pocket and sitting on it, or staying inside my jacket after I go inside. Is that why so many inner-city boys carry purses?
    I break every phone holder\holster\clip I use, so went to a cover for the backside , and I use Mr.Shield glass screen protectors,

I dropped a P38 from about 6" directly on top of my Android at a gunshow,
    thought I had shattered the screen,
    the Mr Shield glass screen protector broke, but my screen on the phone was like new, (been a fan every since)

Jouster is not on Tapatalk, but a lot of forums are, including Gunboards, so that makes viewing them easier , and supposedly less data usage,

pandora for music (yes, they are not gun friendly)
    email apps (I have several accts to look at)

and maybe 7 other apps is all I use,

and yes, that hotspot is very convenient,

Before cell phones: Construction guys had to ask the home owner, can I use your phone. More than a few people actually died because no one knew where they were when they brokedown, got lost, fell ect. Of course now if you do something so stupid that you probably deserve to die, you can call for help.
    If I should die before I wake...great,a little more sleep.

Quote Originally Posted by JB White View Post
    My cell phone has a large format (6.97 x 3.35 x 0.30 in) with an edge to edge screen. It carries well in a shirt pocket and in a snap-on case, it is somewhat drop resistant. If I need a more secure carry, I place it in a pocketed T-shirt undergarment. I am around the house most of the time and only carry the phone when I am out.

I carried a cell phone based heart monitor (blue tooth connected to sending unit) for a month. It was a smaller phone in a clip-on case and I found it uncomfortable where ever I clipped it.

Quote Originally Posted by gwp View Post
    ........... It was a smaller phone in a clip-on case and I found it uncomfortable where ever I clipped it.
    I'm the opposite. I wore a tape measure, a pager or Motorola 2way radio, and later a Nextel for decades. I was forced to grow used to it.

For KTK: I downloaded the WAZE app and I don't think I like it. So far it isn't as easy to use as Siri & Maps, but I realize it's new to me. What I don't like aside from being 'memory heavier' than others, it's a PIA to turn off/disable. The thing flashes a header bar telling me it's still tracking which appears to drain the battery faster.
    I disabled it for now but I haven't removed it yet. Not complaining. Just feedback.
    2016 Chicago Cubs. MLB Champions!

**Never quite as old as the other old farts**

JB

Thanks for the feedback. I tend not to use the GPS whether it is WAZES or the one which came with the truck until I am very close to my destination. I do this as often I know pretty much how to get to the area that I am going to, but often I will take back routes to avoid sitting in traffic. My wife calls this taking one of my "long cuts". Of course every time you deviate from the GPS route it wants you to turn around or re-calculate. So the vast majority of the time all the apps. are shutdown.

I do have question though to those tech. savvy types and that is " why to all the things that tell me what to do (GPS, SIRI, etc) have a woman's voice?

KTK

Quote Originally Posted by Ken The Kanuck View Post
    I do have question though to those tech. savvy types and that is " why to all the things that tell me what to do (GPS, SIRI, etc) have a woman's voice?KTK
    There are usually choices in settings for voice, such as gender and accent.