Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default need some scope help

My 78 yoa neighbor gave me her Hunter 440 pellet rifle she uses for Squirrels and asked me to sight in the scope (a BSA). I have never used a scope, just iron sights. She told me her grand children were playing with it and now it won't hit a thing. Someone got some sort of solvent on the outside and it ate away the rubber grip coating. Everything was locked up. I cleaned the scope and then tried sighting it in. Good groupings but all shots were extreme right, like a foot over. I tried adjusting the scope but it is now down tight and still 5 to 6 inches to the right. Elevation is fine. Is there something else I need to look at as the cause? Scope is tight to the rail and no wobble.
    Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.
    Last edited by duke133; 12-01-2018 at 01:38. Reason: notifications

Blog Entries

maybe take it off, clean the rails and mount?

may have a build up of the goo from the solvent on the mount causing it to set a bit to the side?

Lyman,
    Everything was cleaned thoroughly and the rails are clean. I know nothing about scopes and thought maybe there is something I need to do like I would on iron sights, adjust the front sight, but what do I adjust on a scope if I'm already at the max windage adjustment? Thanks for the reply. I'll check it again. I did notice some sort of tape on the scope barrel where the mounts screw down. They appear like some sort of cushion for the mount when it's tightened down to the scope barrel. Appears factory installed.
    Last edited by duke133; 12-03-2018 at 06:49.

Blog Entries

may be a shim (the tape) to get the windage in the right place,

what brand is the scope and the mounts?
    Last edited by lyman; 12-03-2018 at 09:27.

It's a BSA Air Rifle 4x32 scope. No markings on the mounts so probably factory stuff.

Blog Entries

tip off type rings? clamp on one side or both?

There's a "rail" groove (entire length of the mount) on the rifle mount affixed to the rifle. The scope mounts have a large screw on one side. I tilt one side under the rail to grab it, lower the other side down and scew it tight. Tops of the scope mounts are a "C" type with allen screws or set screws (2 each) to lock it down onto the lower mounts. The lower mounts have an opening for iron sight use. Does that make sense? Everything appears to be BSA. I sent an email off to England but I do not have much faith I will receive a helpful response, but you never know.
    Last edited by duke133; 12-04-2018 at 07:49. Reason: description

Blog Entries

yep, makes since
    standard 22 receiver mount,

not sure how to shim to adjust windage on that one, if it is like I think it is

Well, hopefully the company might respond. In the meantime, I now have to leave town in a cpl days and won't be back until Christmas. Maybe someone will have some info by then. Thanks for your input Lyman. Hope your holidays are good.

If the kids were playing with it probably got dropped and the scope could be bent. Hold the rifle in front of you and look at the barrel and scope at the same time. If one or the other is bent it will show up clearly.

HTH

Emri