Default Krag SRS request

Picked up a cutdown '98 Krag today with serial number 434555. Was just curious if any information exists. Also -- what's the going rate for an 1899 carbine stock these days? Thanks...

2. Default

Photos of stock and receiver?

This is the uglier of the two sides of the stock. Doesn't appear to ever have been sanded and no alterations (ie no sling swivel studs). Not looking to sell, but curious as to value as deciding whether to refinish or leave as is with blemish. Currently leaning towards leaving as is.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/m5hrp7muRpaQup6h8

4. Default

Looks to have had a repair by the buttplate. Would suggest doing what you want and not worry about making money with it.

Not looking to make money since I have no intention of selling, just wanted to make sure I would't lose future value depending on my course of action. There's a difference. And there is no repair -- just a couple small chips above where apparently some type of solvent ruined the finish. Was just curious what the value of such a stock is. Apparently very little...

https://photos.app.goo.gl/V2tE34BqM85Yaiiw8

No SRS listing.

Hard to tell from the pictures but that appears to be a carbine stock. Does the rear sight have carbine markings? Lots of questions. Interesting rifle.

Thanks Tom. Appreciate you taking the time to look.

It's an 1899 Krag carbine stock with a carbine band. The wood is well proud of the buttplate and shows no sign of being sanded. It also shows no sign of any acceptance or proof stamps so I'm guessing it was a surplus stock fitted to the cutdown barreled action long ago. The rear sight is regular a 1901 rifle sight. Definitely not an NRA Benicia Arsenal gun as the crown is a crude affair that has been simply cut and squared with a file. I'm going to talk to the local 'smith and see if he'll touch up the crown and contour it to a proper round profile as the rifling is sharp with no pits. Shame about the pitting along the wood line from when the rifle wore a full length stock.

I've been wanting a cutdown Krag for quite a while as I have no desire to spend proper Krag carbine money for one given that the only rifles that I own that get any real use are the ones that I shoot competitively (so many rifles, so little time). This one checked all the boxes for me since the receiver didn't have any extra holes and the rear sight is a 1901. And I have a humped 1901 handguard with a nasty crack that's been in the parts box for twenty years. Also happen to have a retired friend who is a wizard with wood who kindly offered to repair it for me.