Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Early Remington 1903

277C6550-D79B-4F11-B3A2-177717CB2970.jpg

I have been looking for this rifle, but the RLB looks bogus. Any chance this is legitimate ?

The RLB looks bogus to me also. The chance of it being legitimate is extremely small. I further note that the rifle is fitted with a refinished M'03-A3 bolt sleeve/firing pin assembly.

J.B.
    Last edited by John Beard; 11-27-2018 at 07:07.

3. Default

Thanks John!

4. Default

I purchased a Remington 03 before the A3; it was at a gun show. The seller was not getting a kind word from buyers and sellers. So I asked one dealer that was saying he had no interest if I could talk to the seller about his rifle. He took the time to discourage me from having an interest in the rifle. The seller had two boxes of ammo he purchased with the rifle from Sears. I paid $150 for the rifle and ammo.

I explained to him I had to get the money from the bank so he decided he would go with me. Whet he did not anticipate was the trip I made through the drive through banking system. He left me, I had to stop, back up and reload him. He thought the teller would report us, I must have had 5 rifles/shotguns propped up against the front seat and dash. Anyhow he was a nervous wreck.

I made it to the rang with the rifle and old ammo, there was nothing I could do to improve on the accuracy. At the time I needed a receiver for an A4 barrel that was chambered to 308 Norma mag.

F. Guffey
    Last edited by fguffey; 11-28-2018 at 12:57.

Bless you Mr. Guffey, you were there in the early day.
    Hang in, I enjoy your posts. I just have to slow down to interpret.
    JB has spoken. Agree, the stamp is BS, hate to see this.

6. Default

Hang in, I enjoy your posts. I just have to slow down to interpret.
    JB has spoken. Agree, the stamp is BS, hate to see this.
    There is a remote chance you need to slow down with your interpreting or find someone to help. There was nothing JB said that had anything to do with what I said.

At the same gun show there were rumors a dealer was offering for sale a presentation Mauser for $125.00 dollars. I have never seen a presentation Mauser; it took me all day to get to the back-left corner of the building at the tables of the last dealer in the building. I asked him about the presentation Mauser; he said he was the dealer that was offering the rifle but changed his mind when he was told by some Mauser Experts the rifle was rare and would be worth more money if he did the research.

I explained to him I was not the expert but would like to see the rifle if he still had it. He agreed to dig it out even though he was packing up to leave. After examining the rifle I asked him about his best offer after thinking it was a presentation Mauser; he claimed he was offered $500.00 for the rifle. I suggested he should have taken the first offer of $125.00 because the rifle was a National Ordinance Mauser that is confused with the American Eagle complete within a circle stamped on the top of the front top receiver ring.

Point of interpretation: All the dealers in the building refused to deal with the man with the Remington 1942 03 before A3 because they thought the rifle was a Santa FE/National Arms rifle. They all thought the Mauser was a presentation rifle even thought it 'WAS!' a National ARMS/Santa FE rifle.

I took the Remington O3 to the range; after firing it I decided there was nothing I could do to improve the accuracy of the rifle. Had the rifle shot patterns like a shotgun I would have installed the A4 308 Norma Mag barrel.

F. Guffey
    Last edited by fguffey; 11-30-2018 at 01:08.

Thanks for the story.

N.E. New Jersey, west of the 'gorllia' building.

That little ride to the bank with firearms in the passenger compartment would have put you in jail in New Jersey. If you also had ammo in the same compartment of the car that would be another charge. No warnings...JAIL.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom in N.J. View Post
    That little ride to the bank with firearms in the passenger compartment would have put you in jail in New Jersey. If you also had ammo in the same compartment of the car that would be another charge. No warnings...JAIL.
    Now isn't that sad! But if you were an ILLEGAL, the state would pay you legal fee.

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Tom in N.J. View Post
    Yes, I know, there is no place in New Jersey I have not been, One of my favorite places in Jersey was on the east side south of the GWB. Navy Arms was too conveniently located. And then there was Yonkers, New York; I was at Homefield Deli when a man walked in looking for someone to repair a rifle, if there were 20 customers in the deli 12 of them pointed straight at me. I was assured by all it was OK to help him out. He was headed for a flea market north of Boston.

F. Guffey