Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hearing aids

What? What? You get it from listing tomatoes?
    2016 Chicago Cubs. MLB Champions!

**Never quite as old as the other old farts**

Dallas, TX metro.. formerly Phoenix metro, AZ

I wear both the roll up ear plugs (foam) and then the electronic ear muffs when I go shooting.
    as for hearing aids themselves, the VA told me that what they had would raise ALL the sounds and actually make my hearing more of a problem.
    My loss is 4000 to 8000 HZ so I have trouble in a restaurant with hardwood or tile floors and lots of chattter in the background.
    Other then that, I seem to do better then my wife does with her 6000 dollar digital whiz bang hearing aids.
    And her damned batteries DIE always at the most inconvenient time possible

I don't get it? Ear molds to make you hear better? How can that be?
    Surely you jest !!! If not you you are about to fall in TOGOR's dark hole....

They work perfectly to block the sound. By the way, I also wear hearing aids and I get free batteries when ever I need them. If you need them you are a foolish person not to get them..

john
    “Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.” (Luke 22:36)

4. Default

I think electronic earplugs are more helpful to generic earplugs. The generic earplugs block the sound to the entrance to the, but the electronic earplugs give us a limited sound to our ear according to hearing ability. Hearing aids are beneficial to our ear, and it's the only key to protect hearing from the loud noise.

https://www.bigearinc.com/products/b...n-for-shooting

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dyNTlg0N6zA

5. Default

I think electronic hearing protection is better than generic earplugs at the time of the shooting.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jacksimonton View Post
    I think electronic hearing protection is better than generic earplugs at the time of the shooting.
    generally speaking I would agree, but it also depends on what you are shooting

some folks I know double up on hearing pro (electronic muffs and foam plugs)

Yes foam + Mickey Mouse

Blog Entries

Something overlooked is sound transmission thru bone. For rifle shooters, your cheek (bone) weld will transmit to your ear.

It's cooling off now in Phoenix and I want to try a piece of moleskin on the stock where I "weld".

When I worked at the refinery one of our radio headset styles was the thru bone type. We had to wear hearing protection but also had to hear radio transmission and speak back. I preferred the heavy, hot, muffs with the flex boom mic because of the dual speakers and speaker size but many preferred the bone type that had a small 1" pad on one cheek bone with a Mickey Mouse flimsy mic that did not transmit well. With this type foam plugs had to be worn in the exposed ear canals.

People that used them said they heard everything (radio wise) quite well and these were much lighter.

I often wondered how much of the unwanted equipment noise traveled thru the bones as well.

I tried the roll up foam plugs, and I hated them. Like trying to stuff bisquit mix in your ear. I just use silencio rubber plugs and mickey mouse. I wear hearing aids. I can't imagine life without them. Mine behind the ear type. A lot of money but Blue paid for half.
    If I should die before I wake...great,a little more sleep.