Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 474807

Mark - I got around to looking at collection notes and a Krag in the back of the Gun-Safe today. I made a misstatement in an earlier Post.

The two high number model 1898 Krag rifles that I've owned, #470165 (sold) and #460702, were both made in 1903 and had model 1902 rear-sights and hand-guards.

Both rifles appeared to be 'configured' as they likely left Springfield Armory.

My observation has been that many of the later Krags were issued to Guard units and had the 1902 sight. The RA had their Krags and most were fitted with the 1901 sight. Many of the 98 rifles I have owned came out of legions in the upper mid west and had the 1902 sights. Just my guess.

3. Default

80 rifles were produced/inspected in 1904. Mine is fitted with a 1902 rear sight.

Greetings, all.

I took the butchered/altered handguard and put it on my less than perfect 1902 made 1898 Rifle. From that less than perfect rifle I took the unmolested 1898 handguard and installed it, along with the 1902 rear sight on 474807. The match in color and finish is, well, perfect. 474807 is now a really top end 1898 rifle and we are the only ones that will ever know that 474807 was not born with that handguard.

My go to rifle has been an 1898 with the 1901 rear sight, that sight has been getting harder and harder for me to use , especially under certain light conditions, hence my move to the 1902 rear sight.

Thanks for the responses.
    "A man with a tractor and a chain saw has no excuses, nor does he need any"
    Me. "Consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" Emerson "Consistency is the darling of those that stack wood or cast bullets" Me.

Quote Originally Posted by madsenshooter View Post
    I'd ask the son you have that helps you with wood work to repair the handguard neatly. I mean put it back to 1902. It's so much easier to reach up and twist the knob in the direction you want POI to go than to make an adjustment with the 1901. What flavor of walnut, black or orange?
    I was gonna say black but now I'll have to check! It's on a rifle with an orange stock and it matches, I've stretched out maybe ten bobbed stocks now and this one I blew the color on, the orange stock did not like the black walnut replacement nor the analine die I use.
    "A man with a tractor and a chain saw has no excuses, nor does he need any"
    Me. "Consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds" Emerson "Consistency is the darling of those that stack wood or cast bullets" Me.