1. Default Krag 1896 photos

I've had this model 96 for some time now and thought I would post some photos of it.

Gib
    Gib

Nice carbine. Mine is 701 numbers off yours.

'Gib' - That's a nice looking model 1896 carbine.

As you probably know, Krag, number 76739, is listed in Frank Mallory's 'SRS data' as a model 1896 carbine, sold 07-15-1922, from Raritan Arsenal.

Thanks for sharing!

Nice. Very nice indeed! Sincerely. bruce.
    " Unlike most conservatives, libs have no problem exploiting dead children and dancing on their graves."

5. Default

" model 1896 carbine, sold 07-15-1922, from Raritan Arsenal." Thanks! I did not know that. I bought this from a friend of mine. This was his Dad's hunting rifle. It was missing sling bar when I got it and I replaced it with what I believe is a repro bar. Other than that it appears to be all original. The bore is pretty decent too. I think I am lucky to have it as it is one of my favorite rifles.
    Gib

'96 Carbine with a fair amount of pitting - could have been in Cuba, Puerto Rico, the Philippines ... As a hunter, the last thing you want is that saddle ring rattling away or getting in the way of a one-hand carry. That's a good one!

jn

IMG_2040.JPG

Attached is entry for Krag #76739. (Although, close to numbers found for Troop "A", 1st Nevada Vol. Cav., a number not being found in that documentation pretty much guarantees it did not go to that unit).

Your carbine was likely assembled around August to October, 1897. It very likely saw service during the Spanish-American War and Philippine Insurrection.

BTW - Only a small percentage of Krag serial numbers were found in official records by Frank Mallory - (SRS data).
    Last edited by butlersrangers; 11-16-2018 at 10:52.

8. Default

Butlersrangers,
    Thanks for the information! That is very interesting. I was just happy to maybe have a 96 carbine that was the real deal. That is just the icing on the cake!
    Gib