Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Correct Installation & Use of 1907 Sling?

I'm taking my oldest son to a JCG Match tomorrow and I've not shot in one for about 25 years. I took all my expensive Turner slings off the rifles so they wouldn't get dried out in the safe from the Goldenrod dehumidifier. Now I'm trying to reinstall them but I see two different ways: the way the CMP shows, with the dogs on the outside of the sling, but I also see a lot of others who put the dogs on the inside of the sling, like this guy and this other guy, and this other guy too...

Clearly it can be done both ways, but it seems to me the Army/CMP way might be better if you were actually carrying the rifle around with the sling over your shoulder (it puts a bunch of leather between your shoulder and the frogs), but if you're just using the sling to steady your rifle in a match, it might be better to follow the videos on YouTube and put the frogs on the inside.

What say you?

Any tips for finding the right set of holes for seated and prone position sling use? Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by SoCal M1 Shooter; 11-03-2018 at 06:16.

I think I answered my own question after reading here and there. Supposedly the frogs on the outside, away from the stock, is the Army way. Frogs on the inside is supposedly favored by the USMC.

5. Default This link might be useful..

Appleseed Project: Where marksmanship meets history and the heritage begins.
    Revolutionary War Veterans Associationhttp://www.appleseedinfo.org/
    Paying Tribute To April 19, 1775 Through Awareness, Learning & Marksmanship.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SoCal M1 Shooter View Post
    I think I answered my own question after reading here and there. Supposedly the frogs on the outside, away from the stock, is the Army way. Frogs on the inside is supposedly favored by the USMC.
    If it's for looks, frogs out.

If it's for functional use, frogs in. With the half twist the sling is getting tighter, or stable that way.
    "The first gun that was fired at Fort Sumter sounded the death-knell of slavery. They who fired it were the greatest practical abolitionists this nation has produced." ~BG D. Ullman

Blog Entries

https://www.amazon.com/Leather-Sling.../dp/1939812720

or visit

https://www.jarheadtop.com/

his books on aligning the sights and wind are excellent reads as well

Pursuant to this, I shot two matches this morning and tried various sling adjustments. One of the biggest problem I experienced was inability to get a cheek weld in seated or prone. Any suggestions?

Blog Entries

Sling will be longer in prone, than in sitting. Depending on your ergonomics. For me, it's two sets of holes shorter.

What cheekweld problems are you experiencing?
    "The first gun that was fired at Fort Sumter sounded the death-knell of slavery. They who fired it were the greatest practical abolitionists this nation has produced." ~BG D. Ullman

I tried the sling in both positions at home and thought it would be OK on the range, and ultimately I did go two or three sets of holes longer for prone than for seated. But I felt like my face was too close to the rear of the receiver, so that I had to lift my cheek off the stock to see through the rear sight.

I should add, when I was prone, viewed from above, the angle between my spine and the axis of the bore was less than 180°. Is there any rule of thumb regarding this angle, or do people go with what seems good to them? An angle of 160° to 170° feels about right to me.
    Last edited by SoCal M1 Shooter; 11-04-2018 at 07:25. Reason: added question