Default Tips for New Orleans

Were in N.O. for vacation, hitting WII museum, Chalmette Battlefield gets mixed reviews. Has anyone been that can give it a thumbs up or thumbs down.

Blog Entries

I know the WW2 museum is supposed to be world class.

The chicory coffee is another matter...
    "The first gun that was fired at Fort Sumter sounded the death-knell of slavery. They who fired it were the greatest practical abolitionists this nation has produced." ~BG D. Ullman

My wife and I lived in N.O. while I was in seminary. We enjoyed visiting the battlefield at Chalmette. Happily it is not set up like a theme park! Amazing to consider just how the future of the US turned on such a small piece of land. Tragic that the battle occurred after the treaty had been signed. But, very likely it was necessary for Jackson to destroy the British. Had the British won the battle, it is certain they would have occupied the city of N.O. and controlled the flow of shipping on the Mississippi. Hard to believe the British would have then given the city up and relinquished control of the river and all the traffic. JMHO. Sincerely. bruce.
    " Unlike most conservatives, libs have no problem exploiting dead children and dancing on their graves."

Quote Originally Posted by bruce View Post
    My wife and I lived in N.O. while I was in seminary. We enjoyed visiting the battlefield at Chalmette. Happily it is not set up like a theme park! Amazing to consider just how the future of the US turned on such a small piece of land. Tragic that the battle occurred after the treaty had been signed. But, very likely it was necessary for Jackson to destroy the British. Had the British won the battle, it is certain they would have occupied the city of N.O. and controlled the flow of shipping on the Mississippi. Hard to believe the British would have then given the city up and relinquished control of the river and all the traffic. JMHO. Sincerely. bruce.
    Mainly I wanted to make sure it was not built over with a few signs to read.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Roadkingtrax View Post
    I know the WW2 museum is supposed to be world class.

The chicory coffee is another matter...
    My wife likes chicory coffee, I want the real deal. Everyone I’ve talked to have really liked the WW2 museum, and suggest more than 1 day to see it.

Everyone I’ve talked to have really liked the WW2 museum, and suggest more than 1 day to see it.
    Yes, more than one day. There is also a Confederate museum just around the corner from the WWII museum. It was closed for renovation when I was last there some several years ago so I didn't have a chance to see what they have and can't comment on whether it is worth a visit or not.

No idea how far away it is, but the USS Kidd(Tin can destroyer) lives in Baton Rouge.
    This'll help.
    https://www.neworleansonline.com/new.../arts/museums/
    Spelling and grammar count!

So the WWII museum lived up to all the hype. Plan on a long day if you want to see it in detail. I’ll probably go back Thursday for another look.

Quote Originally Posted by Emri View Post
    Yes, more than one day. There is also a Confederate museum just around the corner from the WWII museum. It was closed for renovation when I was last there some several years ago so I didn't have a chance to see what they have and can't comment on whether it is worth a visit or not.
    Worth it. When last I visited, the donation for entrance was small. They have the baby furniture from the Southern White House on display. Small, but interesting museum.
    I dream of a better world. One where chickens may cross the road without their motives being questioned.

Move to higher ground.
    If I should die before I wake...great,a little more sleep.