Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by fguffey View Post
    I have one 30/06 chamber that is .016" longer than a minimum length/full length sized case. I form 280 Remington cases to 30/06 cases and add .011" to the length of the case from the datum to the case head to get the magical .002" clearance.

.005" added to .011" is .002" longer than a field reject length gage.

F. Guffey
    I have a G43 which easily closes on a 8mm field gauge. Its brass is resized .30-06 (Garand once fired is great since the G43 extraction cycle is really tough on brass), that I let run long. Those rounds still easily chamber in the G43 but in the bolt guns they would be very hard. So yeah us reloaders have alternatives for long headspace.

2. Default

I have a G43 which easily closes on a 8mm field gauge. Its brass is resized .30-06 (Garand once fired is great since the G43 extraction cycle is really tough on brass), that I let run long.
    I have 16 forming dies; included in that bunch is a 8MM57 forming die. The nice feature of the forming die allows the die to be adjusted off the shell holder to increase the length of the case from the shoulder to the case head.

I could never figure how a reloader could miss when forming 30/06 to 8MM57 because the difference in length between the two chambers/cases is .127".

F. Guffey