Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Default Looking for bolt ID help

I have a bolt with a straight handle, ordinance bomb on bottom side of bolt root, SN (or NS) stamped on bottom of safety lug, single small vent hole up forward. What era rifle would it be a proper fit for?

Thank you.

Your bolt would be correct for a very late-1918 or 1919 Rock Island Model 1903 rifle.

J.B.

3. Default

Thank you very much.

"...ordinance bomb"... OrdNANCE. An 'Ordinance' is a law.
    You cannot just put a bolt into any rifle. Bolts require fitting for headspace by a gunsmith.
    Spelling and grammar count!

Quote Originally Posted by Sunray View Post
    You cannot just put a bolt into any rifle. Bolts require fitting for headspace by a gunsmith.
    For '03s, my understanding is that headspace is set in the chamber. Unaware of a bolt based procedure beyond swapping bolts until one gives serviceable headspace. This after initial reaming of the chamber with a particular bolt.

From the happy coincidence department: one of my shooters is a Greek return, S/N 1.37M range, so Nickle Steel receiver. Independent of this I got a 3 bolt set of bolt bodies off of eBay, with one advertised as "NB" on the bolt handle. That NS bolt ran long on two of my HN rifles, but gauged right on with that CMP NS action. So they're together now in all of their gummy glory.
    Last edited by togor; 11-01-2018 at 05:15.

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by togor View Post
    For '03s, my understanding is that headspace is set in the chamber. Unaware of a bolt based procedure beyond swapping bolts until one gives serviceable headspace. This after initial reaming of the chamber with a particular bolt.

From the happy coincidence department: one of my shooters is a Greek return, S/N 1.37M range, so Nickle Steel receiver. Independent of this I got a 3 bolt set of bolt bodies off of eBay, with one advertised as "NB" on the bolt handle. That NS bolt ran long on two of my HN rifles, but gauged right on with that CMP NS action. So they're together now in all of their gummy glory.
    In the "happy coincidence department", a late NS bolt came along with the above mentioned bolt in the deal. Out of curiosity I tried it in my 1903A1 which had a Remington bolt in it, said R bolt closed with the faintest resistance on a go-gauge, minimal headspace. The "new" NS bolt closed with the exact same resistance on the gauge. (And yes, the checks were made with just the stripped bolt bodies, no extractors.) They are now together in all their "gummy glory" also. The very best part of the story is that I got the pair of bolts for a paltry $40.

Sorry for the spelling error. My sainted Mom passed away on the day I wrote my initial post and I was trying my best to divert myself from the grief by engaging in some 'normal' gun talk.
    Last edited by gnoahhh; 11-19-2018 at 07:30.

I'm sorry for your loss. Like nearly all mothers she is in a better place.

I add my condolences on your mother's passing.

J.B.

My condolences on your mother's passing as well. Hopefully you got to keep her for a long time.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sunray View Post
    "...ordinance bomb"... OrdNANCE. An 'Ordinance' is a law.
    actually, for US Service weapons, they do not ,

just need to headspace to make sure and try a few if yours do not work (headspace correctly)

designed that way,

initial headspace is set when the barrel is installed, (chamber short, so it needs to be reamed)