Thread: 308 Garand

Default 308 Garand

Gents,

I haven't posted in a long time but with my retirement effective this coming Friday I hope to be more active.

A work buddy just got a 308 Garand. I've not seen it yet but from his description (he's not familiar with Garands nor with proper nomenclature) it sounds like a possible match prize rifle. The sights and other parts are NM. He purchased it from a fellow who apparently got it in the mid to late 60's...no paperwork exists. Of course, he's itching to shoot it. As an owner of several 30.06 Garands I am well aware of the burning rate of powders and the need to have proper ammunition to prevent possible op rod bending/breaking. He is not a reloader, and I don't reload 308/7.62.

My question: Do the same ammunition cautions exist for the 308 Garand? If so, what, if any, commercial ammo is considered safe? For the .06, we have Privi and a few others readily available but I.ve not seen and am not aware of any ammo designated for the 308 like you see for the 06.

TIA,
    VG

NATO spec M80 Ball type ammunition should be OK. Federal American Eagle would be a good choice.

https://www.sgammo.com/catalog/rifle...in-762x51-ammo

Thanks much! I'll pass that along.

VG

4. Default

Federal Gold Medal Match ammo is also a good choice, if not pricey

Get a set of .308 dies and load a 150 grn bullet to about 2600fps, or a 168 to about 2550fps. The load will be in any good reloading manual. Works in my .308 Garand, and both shoot well.

Blog Entries

if you reload shoot me a PM with your email and I'll send you pdf of Dunlaps Loading .30 Cal Match Ammunition
    it has a lot of good reloading info for 308 and 30.06
    Last edited by lyman; 11-01-2018 at 08:28.

7. Default

- - - Updated - - -

A word of caution. Dunlap's loads are for the BOLT gun not the M1. I used to shoot with Roy Dunlap and I have an autographed copy of Loading .30 Cal Match Ammunition. A few years ago, a couple of us were going to reissue this loading manual so I contacted Roy and asked his permission to do so. He said OK, just send him a copy. Nothing ever came of this effort. All of these loads were with the old IMR powders and I do not know how the modern powders compare with them. There is one load that cannot be used in the M1- he has one load that recommends 48 grains of IMR 4350 with the 180 SMK in a 308 case. This load requires the use of a special Western Match case which is very thin-it weighs 30 grains less than any other 308 case. That load will result in excessive port pressure in an M1 and the M1 will tear those thin cased up.
    FWIW
    Last edited by Cosine26; 11-03-2018 at 12:31.

Blog Entries

Thanks for the comment,

I have used a few of the loads with modern IMR's without issue in the Garand,