Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

A friend who does the big gun shows tells me this one, sure it is based on condition, has been offered by a couple of different dealers in the 12-17 K range with no buyers the past 2-3 years.

2. Default

At the worst a few screws and the band spring may have been replaced. There was a time when you could find such parts we used to call “new old stock”. I have seen two other 1870 carbines for sale, one blued and one browned that were in nice condition. The sister trial carbine, the Ward Burton, can also be found in bright and blued finish, though I haven’t seen a browned one.

Quote Originally Posted by Tkacook View Post
    My concerns were the rear sight appears not to be sitting flush on the barrel. The saddle ring gouge in the stock doesn't seem right for a rifle used so little. The screw heads on the lock plate look off. I may be wrong, but it is still a beautiful specimen.
    I do not believe the stock gouge is from the ring. Actually, it is not the ring which wears stocks but rather the edge of the swivel, which creates an arc of rubbing behind (to the rear of) the bar. Sight (and it appears to be the carbine version) looks OK to me. Hammer appears a bit tweaked and does not sit down tight/square. Perhaps it fell at one time? Still WAAY too much money for nearly everyone.

I'm no expert but it looks rather good to me. I would also like to know where it came from just for my own curiosity as I don't have that kind of money for a rifle LOL!!

Way too much for me Dick Hosmer LOL!! Al Frasca just had a nice 1877 stared carbine close to what I could afford but someone snatched it up in a hurry. Just wanted to post this 1870 as I thought it was interesting being in such nice shape. Seemed to be correct and thought people here would enjoy seeing it as I did.

Carlsr

We very much enjoyed seeing it. I would like to have any 1870 Carbine, but can't even dream of spending $25,000 on one.
    Never Give Up, Never Surrender!

Mine was $1,500, but it was many years ago.

That would be the one pictured in your book? Lucky you Dick!

Yes, but, unfortunately the front sight is not original - that is most likely why I was able to acquire it at a reasonable price even then.

I believe the seller thought it might have been a cut-down, but it is definitely not as all of the other "special" features are present and correct. The carbines used a modified 1869 Cadet barrel, and the stock cannot be faked from that for a longer arm. Over the years I've considered having the sight restored, but never took the plunge, basically because it would look like someone had diddled with it. The current sight, which simply restores functionality, is sufficiently ugly to preclude anyone thinking it was faked.