Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 1870 Trapdoor saddle ring carbine

Here is a rare beauty I saw on gun broker this morning in my search for an 1870 rifle. Wonder how long it will last?? If only mt pockets were that deep LOL!!! https://www.gunbroker.com/item/789795771

It's very nice. I'm not completely sure it hasn't been touched up here and there. I would have to have Dick Hosmer go over every inch before I would drop that kind of money on it.
    Never Give Up, Never Surrender!

Yes, it is nice. Looks kind of too good. If I had that kind of money to spend I would also have to have it looked at by someone with way more knowledge then myself.

$25,000.00 for something that has no proof or documentation that it actually is what he says it is? Especially as it has '1869' stamped on its side plate. Or how he came by a nearly pristine Carbine.
    I think it's a Bubba Special parts rifle.
    Spelling and grammar count!

I believe the date on the lock is 1864, by my eyes anyway which would be correct for an 1870. They were dated 1862 to 1864. There also is no serial # which would also be correct for a carbine as they were not serialized. The 1870 carbine utilized a new stock with one oval ESA cartouch which this on has. The breech block also looks correct as it does not have MODEL 1870 but rather 1870. Just my observations.

My curiosity is more with certain areas of the stock and some of the screw heads. It looks correct, but it could still be a parts rifle. I have seen a few come up before and they were in the $7k-8k range. Like Sunray, I would have to see some documentation or know the collector personally before shelling out that kind of money.

7. Default

One sold at Rock Island in 2012 for $17,500. Condition very nice but nowhere near this carbine. Might well be worth 25K!

It might well be legitimate, but there should be many more pictures than what is shown.
    Last edited by Tkacook; 10-29-2018 at 02:15. Reason: Can't type!

I cannot see anything wrong with it from the data provided. One can only marvel at the condition, which is, I believe, the reason for the extraordinarily high price. The trial guns were used hard. The one black and white picture shown on Al Frasca's page seems to be as crisp. Might be the same gun. Many (including mine) have "1865" dated plates, though "1864" (weak strike on this one) would be OK. It is NOT "1869"!
    Last edited by Dick Hosmer; 10-30-2018 at 09:45.

My concerns were the rear sight appears not to be sitting flush on the barrel. The saddle ring gouge in the stock doesn't seem right for a rifle used so little. The screw heads on the lock plate look off. I may be wrong, but it is still a beautiful specimen.