1. Default Swedish FM23-36 Mauser trial rifle.

A few weeks ago I noticed this at an auction. I thought it might be some kind of sporterized hack job, but found that it is actually a rare FM 23-36 Swedish

http://dutchman.rebooty.com/fm36.html

...a fool and his money were lucky to get together in the first place...

That is a real nice looking target rifle.

Expensive too I'll bet.
    If I should die before I wake...great,a little more sleep.

4. Default

Thanks, guys.

My FM23-36 trials rifle arrived today at my FFL to start the 10-day "cooling off" period.

Stock is in great shape, as is the bluing. bore looks great and all numbers seem to match. I grabbed a few pictures before it went into my FFL's safe

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by dryheat View Post
    Expensive too I'll bet.
    Not as much as you might think. I don't believe a lot of people realized what it was and consequently I got it for not a whole lot more than a standard M96 goes for now. Here is a page from "Crown Jewels"--The Mauser in Sweden" concerning the FM23-36

Last edited by Calfed; 10-26-2018 at 07:33.

Same metallurgy as a standard M/96 right? So watch the chamber pressures?

- - - Updated - - -

A real beauty!

I see it said that they changed the rate of twist on these. I would assume that would be a for a spitzer boat tail bullet instead of the round nose??
    Let us know how well it does shot.

I was looking at your pictures and thought, "is that a Lyman peep sight?" And sure enough! That is a sweet rifle. To those who think there is something less than Jake about the metallurgy ... they were made of Swedish steel, which has a bit of nickel in it. So I have been told by more than one 'smith.

jn

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by togor View Post
    Same metallurgy as a standard M/96 right? So watch the chamber pressures?

- - - Updated - - -

A real beauty!
    Thanks, togor! I'll post a few more pictures and a range report when I can.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuna View Post
    I see it said that they changed the rate of twist on these. I would assume that would be a for a spitzer boat tail bullet instead of the round nose??
    Let us know how well it does shot.
    I'm not sure about why the change in twist rate.

Quote Originally Posted by jon_norstog View Post
    I was looking at your pictures and thought, "is that a Lyman peep sight?" And sure enough! That is a sweet rifle. To those who think there is something less than Jake about the metallurgy ... they were made of Swedish steel, which has a bit of nickel in it. So I have been told by more than one 'smith.

jn
    I've heard about how good Swedish steel is and was. I've also heard that the ore had nickel in it and that the ore was naturally low in sulpher.

9. Default

I finally got a chance to compare the FM23-36 to my CG63 Swedish target rifle

It is clear that the barrel profile on the FM23 is significantly heavier than the CG63. I tried to take a few pictures to demonstrate that...

Still have to get these rifles out to the range for a shoot off.