Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: NFL is doomed

1. Default

Pro Sports ... millionaires helping billionaires make more money ... and let's not forget the common stockholders who enjoy the fruits of their investments .

Well that's as American as baseball and apple pie .

Personally I have never watched a pro sports game of any kind since the millionaire baseball players went on strike demanding medical benefits .....

Quote Originally Posted by Mark in Ottawa View Post
    I know that this will offend a lot of sports fans but the bigger question is "Why do we bother to watch professional sports at all?". At one time sports teams represented your school or perhaps your town and were mostly or totally made up of people from your school or town and you could have some emotional attachment to the team. That has not been the case for many many decades. The players are all professionals and in some odd way, we are expected to love the players who are on our home team and then hate them if they get traded. The logic of the emotional attachment to a player is therefore missing completely. In any case, given that I am a retiree on a modest pension why should I have an emotional attachment to a millionaire athlete who is employed by a billionaire owner who is part of a monopoly owned by a lot of billionaires? At best, we are talking about "athletic entertainment" and not "sports". Sports are played by amateurs for fun. The NFL, the NHL and the NBA are all just big entertainment businesses and I have never been able to care about any of them.
    Like when someone asks me 'who won the game last nite', I give my stock answer, "Who gives a sh*t?".
    You can never go home again.

leftyo Guest

havent watched too much in the last year or two, but play calling affecting the outcome of a game has been going on since before i was born. it is nothing new in the nfl.

Blog Entries

Togor, your GB Packers didnt rise up to my Lions today.
    "The first gun that was fired at Fort Sumter sounded the death-knell of slavery. They who fired it were the greatest practical abolitionists this nation has produced." ~BG D. Ullman

Quote Originally Posted by Roadkingtrax View Post
    Togor, your GB Packers didnt rise up to my Lions today.
    It's true. GB is such a fish bowl that they form over-inflated opinions of their own players. Then the regular season brings a healthy dose of reality. Self-admitted Lion's fan? I applaud your courage, sir.

Last season I flew to Europe for work on SB Sunday. The plane was only about 2/3 full so it was like flying international in the old days when you could spread out a little. I guess I missed an entertaining game but it was worth it for the flight.

NFL should be named "National Kneelers Society".

Quote Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
    NFL should be named "National Kneelers Society".
    And it is noted for what men on their knee's do.

The NFL is following NASCAR down the road to oblivion. Both have neglected their ardent fans in favor of the TV sponsors. As those fans age out, young fans are not interested in following the sport. Regards, Clark

Blog Entries

My first thought of what men do on their knees do was to pray. That made no sense then I realized you probably meant something else.

Quote Originally Posted by Herschel View Post
    My first thought of what men do on their knees do was to pray. That made no sense then I realized you probably meant something else.
    I think you can disregard praying among this group.