Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Any ideas for a handicapped person rifle w/o a hammer

A friend is looking for a deer rifle for his handicapped dad, who has a bad hand, and needs a break open rifle that doesn't have a hammer as he doesn't have the strength in his hands to pull the hammer back. I thought of the Ruger No 1 but that is pricey for an old man. Any other ideas?

He'll still need the strength to operate a Ruger's lever. That's about the same as any rifle's hammer.
    I think more info is required. As in how badly disabled is the guy? Any rifle will require the strength to operate the action. Like can he operate a bolt? Or use a pump gun?
    Spelling and grammar count!

A semi auto might be the answer -- say a Ruger in 7.62X39mm?

leftyo Guest

i agree with vern, id look at a semi.

I agree with not having enough information to offer any type of solution. Almost any rifle will require some strength and dexterity during at least one point of its operation. Then there are questions such as the weight of the arm in question and the ability to handle recoil. What are the local restrictions (if any) concerning the choices of cartridge? Bullet diameter/fps/foot pounds of energy/handloads vs factory offerings from major manufacturers?

Semi-auto or hammerless single shot in a light recoiling chambering such as the 7.62x39 as already mentioned, a .243 Winchester etc providing they are legal for the area. Getting either that doesn't require similar strength to cycle the action or break it open is a challenge. Finding one in a lower price range compounds things and limits choices. Trying to assist someone third person complicates things even more. It's tough enough to help someone at a gun counter let alone on the internet by proxy.

Having said all that, have you looked into the single shot offerings from Henry? It might be possible to slick one up? For hammerless, the Turks or Baikal rifle might still be found somewhere.

***Here's the link to Henry***

https://www.henryusa.com/rifles/single-shot-rifle/
    Last edited by JB White; 10-03-2018 at 06:20. Reason: Link added
    2016 Chicago Cubs. MLB Champions!

**Never quite as old as the other old farts**

I have located an older Savage 219 a single shot hammerless. Gonna look around for one. I don't have the particulars on this person, only that his right hand doesn't have the strength to cock the hammer type rifle. Well try to get more info.

Blog Entries

You are only looking at half the problem. If he has trouble operating the action, can he control the gun in recoil, even off the bench?

Problem with an autoloader is you need some hand strength to charge it or unload it. Lever gun is the best bet, but yeah, recoil management and overall safe handling.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaffer View Post
    A friend is looking for a deer rifle for his handicapped dad, who has a bad hand, and needs a break open rifle that doesn't have a hammer as he doesn't have the strength in his hands to pull the hammer back. I thought of the Ruger No 1 but that is pricey for an old man. Any other ideas?
    If a Ruger will work then he may have to bite the bullet and undergo the expense. Perhaps he could liquidate or trade other guns he may have now that he has the bad hand. With a semi he would have to able to load and operate the breech bolt. With a pump he would have to be able to grasp the forearm and operate it but if either of these would work out then the Remington 742 and 762 would be candidates (no exposed hammers and fairly cheap). With a bolt action the bolt could be operated using any part of his hand or even his arm, it just wouldn't be a very quick situation. As far as lever actions go most of them have exposed hammers but I would recommend he try out a Savage 99. The ones I have examined had a very smooth lever operation and of course no visible hammer. This gun could also be loaded and used as a single shot if easier on him.

Dallas, TX metro.. formerly Phoenix metro, AZ

A savage bolt action rifle in .243.
    you can buy them with a scope on them for 300 to 400 bucks
    try this
    https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/...ducts_id/70949
    of course they have "YOUTH" rifles in other brands just do a search.
    the bolt action is easy to work. I have severe gout and can work them