1. Default Unusual 1903 barrel

I'm hoping someone can help me identify an unusual 1903 Springfield barrel I just a acquired. It was part of a group of items I acquired from the estate of a long time collector. It is 24" in length and is still in the white. It is proofed with the ordinance P. It is larger in diamter than a normal barrel being 1.18" diameter at the receiver and .65" at the muzzle. It has multiple drawing numbers on it - C64272 & C64160. It also has stamped on it REP 11A, S-A over F, and B-440. Stamped in an oval is something that looks like a Winchester marking but I can't be sure. It also has 29 stamped in two places (which I'm guessing could be the year). It came in a government wrapper which is marked "one each Bbl B4 - 1-90" (which I'm guessing is when the governmnt disposed of it). Any information would be much appreciated. Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Does the tip of the barrel (crown) have any markings?

You have a barrel made at Springfield Armory in mid-1942 for some unknown, presumably experimental purpose. The barrels were finished in-the-white. REP 11A is the barrel steel lot code. The barrels were eventually disposed of as scrap when Springfield Armory closed and employees were allowed to carry them home. The barrels show up from time to time.

J.B.
    Last edited by John Beard; 10-02-2018 at 08:39.

4. Default

I picked up these two 22 cal Springfield barrels over the last few years. The first appears to be a shortened barrel with all markings removed except the witness mark. Nicely crowned and plated. Standard four groove rifling.
    The second barrel is more of a mystery. Barrel is dated 1907, has four groove rifling (not Hoffer Thompson ) and has much later 22 cal only markings.
    Could these also be some sort of Springfield production ?

5. Default

Thank you very much! How were you able to determine the mid 42 date?

Quote Originally Posted by milcollector3 View Post
    Thank you very much! How were you able to determine the mid 42 date?
    I have a large data base of barrel steel lot codes. The REP 11 steel lot code dates from 4-42. And in my data base, I have several barrels like yours. And they also date from 4-42.

J.B.

I bought two similar SA barrels off of the old CSP site over a dozen years ago. 5/42 dates, in the white, short-chambered, various drawing numbers stamped on them, no front/rear sight sleeves. Chuckindenver mounted sleeves on them and I've installed one on a parts gun (the other is in the spares pile). It's a fine shooting barrel.