Default 1888 Round Rod Bayonet

My first Trapdoor purchase was an M88 Round Rod Bayonet. I did not know much about Trapdoors at the time I purchase this rifle but had always wanted one. After some research I found that the rifle had a low serial # in the 144xxx range which was surprising because most of my research showed serial #'s from 495xxx into the 500xxx range. I purchased a book called the 45 70 Springfield by Joe Poyer which pointed out that some early M88's were found with lower serial #'s in the 1413xx, 1441xx and 1472xx. These were just 3 rifles observed which aslo had a SWP cartouche with 1891 date. My rifle also has the 1891 cartouche. From what the book states is in order to save coasts, some of these rifles used earlier receivers taken new from inventory or reused from damaged arms that had been turned in. My rifle has a good bore but at some point in it's long life something had been spilled on it and the bluing removed thus over time pitting had formed on the barrel. Also a tang sight was added along with a very tall front sight. I finally found, after a long search a barrel on E bay with a low serial # but this one is in the 100xxx range. I'm attaching some pics of it. From what I could see it is an originally produced barrel from Springfield Armory as the witness marks line up. My question is if anyone else has seen, owns or herd of a 1888 RRB in this serial # range? Thanks RRB1.jpgRRB2.jpgRRB3.jpg

They can be found from anywhere above 96300 (inception of wide receiver) into the mid 100K range, as Poyer states, and for the reasons you note. I do not recall ever hearing of one in the 200K range. To SA, a good receiver was not to be wasted.

There is also another group of "theoretically incorrect" numbers on M1888s, those being in the 314-322K area, which are the converted M1884 experimental rod-bayonet rifles. Most M1884XRBs were so upgraded and unaltered specimens are hard to find.

"Regular" 1888 production started just below 500K.

Hope that helps.

Thanks Dick. I did check to see if this # was in the narrow receiver range first before purchasing it. I did not know that they could be found under 100K. This is the barrel on my rifle now. Pictures are not that great, one day I'll get a better camera??IMG_1448.jpgIMG_1449.jpgIMG_1450.jpg