1. Default Optics for AR platform

Looking at optics for AR15. Looking at Eotec vs less expensive first step. Totally confused! Are some better for low light/night applications? Any help or suggestions would be appreciated .

That is like asking someone "what color car should I buy?". I've mounted everything from $40 Tasco red dots (not recommended) to $3000+ night vision optics. If you just want a rifle scope, you need to use cantilever rings for proper eye relief. Choose a scope YOU like. Red dot optics are not critical for eye relief and range from no magnification to low (4X or less) power. Some will co-witness with iron sights most don't. Decent ones range in price from $99 (Vortex brand) to $400+ (Eotec) We have had good luck with the Vortex line and they make more that the $99 one mentioned. Generally speaking the lower the price ones have a dot that subtends about 4 to 6 inches at 100yds. Better (more expensive) ones have a finer dot that subtends as low as 2" @ 100yds.

Hope this helps some to reduce your confusion. If you will let me know what rifle you have, what you plan to do with it (targets, hunting, plinking, home defense) and a price range you are comfortable spending, type of sight (red dot, scope) I can make some specific recommendations.

Good Luck!!

Emri

looking for a red dot or a magnifier? If a red dot then the Trijicon MRO is a nice unit.
    Last edited by togor; 09-29-2018 at 11:23.

leftyo Guest

im not a big red dot fan. in your case my own choice would be a 1-4x scope with a 30mm tube and a lighted reticle.

Palmetto State Armory had the Bushnell AR Optics 1-4x 24mm Riflescope w/ Throw Down PCL AR91424I on sale and I purchased two for use on AR15 and they work very well. The Illuminated BTR reticle provides outstanding low light performance and accurate holdovers out to 500 yards. Make lightning quick power changes with the Throw Down PCL lever. At 1x the reticle functions as a red dot and at 4x the reticle is large enough to use the holdover marks for longer range shooting. I paid $150 each for the scopes but they are available from $230-$250. Bushnell has a similar 1-4x24 scope that is not illuminated and does not have the first focal plane or the throw down PCL lever that is available for around $150. It probably will not meet your needs. I used the 30mm Nikon P-Series Mount.

The Athlon Optics Talos BTR 1-4x24 is a lower priced scope ($170) that would probably meet your needs. I have several of the Talos scopes that I use on rim fire rifles. The Athlon scopes are well made scopes that are available from $100 to over $1000.

https://cameralandny.com/spec-sheet.html?catalog[name]=Athlon-Optics-Talos-BTR-1-4x24---AHSR-14-SFP-IR-MIL-Rifle-Scopes&catalog[product_guids][0]=1622699

6. Default

Wow ! Thanks to all.

I have this thing with vintage scopes. My recently acquired pogo-stick like carbine wears a Sears Ted Williams 1.5-4.5 variable with a standard duplex reticle. It was probably made in the mid to late 60s. The scope was made by Weaver. Pre-Micro-Trac adjustments, but they work well. I have it set up 2.6" above the bore center line. I shot a 97 in SF prone, and a 96-3x RF prone with the set up in the CMP's Modern Military Match. Don't need no whistles, bells, or lights.
    Last edited by madsenshooter; 09-30-2018 at 11:03.
    "I have sworn upon the Altar of God, eternity hostility upon all forms of tyranny over the minds of man." - Thomas Jefferson