Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Cubs lose to Pirates...

...and I think I'm losing my common sense. A few hot dogs and Pepsi's cost $47. Add a couple bags of peanuts and a few rounds of beer and I got soaked for nearly $130 all told in concessions alone.
    Could have gone to a decent steak house and watched it on TV....and I might have gotten laid instead of screwed.
    Last edited by JB White; 09-24-2018 at 10:40.
    2016 Chicago Cubs. MLB Champions!

**Never quite as old as the other old farts**

Pirates have the best record of any NL Central club against their division rivals this year, JB, and I don't think that was just beating up on Cinci. I know the Brewers had trouble with them. Outside the division they fall apart.

PS: That's a lot to pay for concessions.
    Last edited by togor; 09-25-2018 at 05:03.

Coming out of Cactus League this past spring, I fully expected the Pirates to be in contention this year following the All Star break. It's been a flash and fizzle season for them. Good team all things considered. They have some talent but I don't think they can figure themselves out yet.

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by JB White View Post
    ...and I think I'm losing my common sense. A few hot dogs and Pepsi's cost $47. Add a couple bags of peanuts and a few rounds of beer and I got soaked for nearly $130 all told in concessions alone.
    Could have gone to a decent steak house and watched it on TV....and I might have gotten laid instead of screwed.
    That's why I stay away from the majors and frequent minor league games. $9 tickets, $2 hot dogs, and $1 ice cream. Never full and you can pick your seats for 3 hours of live entertainment for less than $20.
    Last edited by ikesdad; 09-25-2018 at 06:51.

Quote Originally Posted by ikesdad View Post
    That's why I stay away from the majors and frequent minor league games. $9 tickets, $2 hot dogs, and $1 ice cream. Never full and you can pick your seats for 3 hours of live entertainment for less than $20.
    I do go to minor league games near me every so often. A Class A Diamondbacks affiliate and a Frontier League team. Both are entertaining and don't break the bank. But it's tough trying to find someone to take the drive with me if they aren't into the game outside of screaming for their favorite MLB team. To them, minor leagues are just something they hear mentioned on TV once in a while and little more. It may as well be outer space to them. The science of baseball is being lost. Hardly anyone keeps score just for the fun of it.

6. Default

It was that way for me too until the Rockies got a MiLB team here and the stadium is only a few blocks from the house. Always something going on at those games. One poor guy from the other team will be designated the Beer Batter and if he strikes out, beers are a buck or some such for the next 10 minutes. The crowd really messes with that guy. And free handouts of ball caps, T shirts, beer mugs, etc. when coming thru the gate.
    Last edited by ikesdad; 09-25-2018 at 07:11.

How do you think the bosses of the arrested adolescents playing a children's game get the millions of dollar's to pay 'em?
    Spelling and grammar count!

Beginning of rant.

The Pirate’s owner pays Clint Hurdle $4M a year to manage mostly minor league talent. That he gets them anywhere near
    .500 is pretty amazing. They trade the stars away to dump their salaries. A few decent pitchers emerged from the pile of rubble this year and pitched well enough only to lose way too many 1-0 or 2-0 games. Now, they wonder why no-one shows up to watch the games anymore. Very few fans will pay major league prices to watch that level of talent.

End of rant.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunray View Post
    How do you think the bosses of the arrested adolescents playing a children's game get the millions of dollar's to pay 'em?
    Children's game? You don't know jack about it! Being a Canadian I suppose we have to give you a pass. Baseball is a man's game in more ways than you'd have patience to hear. Even when it's being played by kids.

"arrested adolescents" ???? Where the hell did that come from ?